Author Topic: CW keyer in the RRC 1258  (Read 3387 times)

i7ale

• View Profile
    • Email
CW keyer in the RRC 1258
« on: 2013-11-25, 00:19:58 »
I am studying the possibilities to go "remote" in CW, with a TS480  and a RRC 1258 (both of which I do not have yet).
It appears that the recommended solution is to plug a key into the RRC1258 and not to use a separate keyer. A couple of questions:

- is the RRC1258 internal keyer a full one, with memories, all the usual adjustments and controls like ratio, weight, emulation of different ways of keying i.e. different keying styles,   etc.?

- where is the speed control? (a control that I use quite often) 

- is the use of an external independent keyer absolutely not advisable?

- is it possible not to use any keyer at all, that is plug-in  a mechanical Bug or a straight key?

Well, the questions are indeed four. Sorry for the inconvenience.
       Thank you very much

Sandro, i7ALE

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: CW keyer in the RRC 1258
« Reply #1 on: 2013-11-25, 00:46:58 »
Hi Sandro,

I am not sure who told you that using an external keyer is not advisable, since this is
not true. The manual provides instructions on how to interface an external keyer to the RRC.

The internal keyer is basic, provides most features you mention, except for memories.
I use a PC for that purpose, anyway.

I highly suggest that you download the manual and read the part of CW, since it explains
everything you need to know.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

i7ale

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: CW keyer in the RRC 1258
« Reply #2 on: 2013-11-25, 10:08:12 »
Thank you Mitch,
you are absolutely right. The idea of reading the manual came to my mind this morning ("when everything else fails, read the manual! "). All is clear there, and it should be straightforward to set up the system, even for an I.T. illiterate, as I am.

Sandro, I7ALE (N3AN)