Author Topic: CW operating eratically  (Read 1132 times)

KA3DCO

• View Profile
    • Email
CW operating eratically
« on: 2023-09-23, 04:39:00 »
I have been using RemoteRig RRC-1258 MKII successfully since 2016. My radio is Icom IC-7100. I have had success with CW and use a straight key. The key is plugged into the jack on rear of control head. Recently when I press the key the radio begins transmitting erratically and I have no control. This happens randomly. At times it will work fine for a short period of time and then malfunction. I cannot get it to work on 40 meters at any time, but at times will work for few minutes on 10, 15 and 20. I thought this might be a power supply issue but have substituted power supply and problem persists. This has  been going on for about a year. If anyone else is having this problem I would love to hear from them.

73, Kenny
KA3DCO
Modify message

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: CW operating eratically
« Reply #1 on: 2023-09-23, 09:45:51 »
Hi

When using CW with Remoterig you should always connect the Key or Padles direct to the Remoterig Control-RRC to have any benefit of the CW features of the Remoterig. If you connect direct to the panel you have no help of Remoterig to compensate for internet latency, Jitter etc.

If you use a straight key you connect it to the I/O jack behind the control-RRC. For details look at the Remotrig manual, all setting are the same as when you use paddles

73 de mike

KA3DCO

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2023-09-29, 02:43:54 »
Hi Mike - Thanks so much for the prompt reply. I have tried this suggestion several times and nothing happens. I think I am using the two correct wires on the patch cable. The drawing shows wires # 1 and 2 are used for CW. It looks like 1 and 2 are the two wires on the outside of the jack, a white wire wrapped around a colored wire. I am trying to attach my current settings for you to examine but the html files will not be accepted. I also wonder if there is a setting on the IC-7100 that may be an issue.

I am so appreciative of your support. I have thoroughly enjoyed the RRC 1258 - it has provided me with many hours of enjoyable operating.

73, Kenny  KA3DCO

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2023-09-30, 21:37:44 »
Hi

See manual page 96. A straight key should be connevted between pin 4 and 8 in the control RRC. From the Radio-RRC PAD-jack a 3.5 mm stereocable is connected to the ic-7100. Out2 is set to keyer and the ic-7100 is set to straight key

73 de mike