Author Topic: TM-D710 control end resets and panel display dims on rx audio  (Read 4827 times)

KC4LWO

• View Profile
    • Email
i have set up a pair of MK1258 IIS for use with a Kenwood TM-D710. I am testing them over my local network. The unit comes up and the display is fine all controls on the control head work fine. When it starts recieving audio the backlight starts to dim and the control unit will sometimes reset the display. When I reduce the audio level it seems to stablize. It keys the radio fine and I can see it keying the repeater. I upgraded them both to 2.78 this afternoon. Thinking I had a PS problem I started using a unit that is 14V 1.5 amps. Problem still lthe same. I have checked my cabling, jumper settings and configuration jumpers and they all seem to be ok. Any suggestions on where I might start trouble shooting.

TNX

Cory

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
It sounds like the power supply can't handle the current. But if it really is 1.5A it should be OK. I have used the TM-D710 a lot my self and I have never heard anybody else having this problem, so I don't understand why your display consume to much power ?

/micke

KC4LWO

• View Profile
    • Email
I tried it again today the internal regulator drops below 8volts then the display blanks out and restarts. I made up a new  cable using cat5 instead of the grey 6wire vlat cable I started with. It still does the same thing. As the volume goes up the voltage starts to drop, then display drops out and resets.
My boss has another unit here that will try an see if performs the same way. I willlet you know later what I find.

tnx
Cory

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Hi

Have you removed JMP2 to get 9V, as it says in the manual ?

/mike

KC4LWO

• View Profile
    • Email
Mike,

I found the problem and it was me. I had a standard 8 ohm mobile radio speaker hooked to the sp port instead of an amplified speaker. It was loading down the audio amp. Once I hooked up a pair of amplified computer speakers the problem went away. Everything is working fine now.

Thanks for all of your help.

73's

Cory

troynm

• View Profile
I have the same problem with my Kenwood TS-480HX. Using the internal speaker in the control head the display dims and flickers with moderate volume. I have not remove JMP2 as it was not indicated on the configuration table for my early version of the radio. I wasn't sure if that would be safe to do or not. I could get an amplified speaker.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
remove the jumper

/mike