RRC 1258 Support in English > General discussion forum

Missing virtual drivers

<< < (2/3) > >>

dj0qn:
Phil,

You essentially have two completely different problems:

1) The Keyspan should work in any case if the port is set to NO.

2) Using the USB cable and set to YES does not show the Windows virtual ports

Now onto possible solutions:

1) I theorize that a serial setting somewhere is not correct. Note that the COM1 baud settings in both the radio
and control RRC must be identical and in mode-7, but not necessarily identical to the COM2 setting. Check both RRC's
and also make sure that the K3/0 mini is also set to that same baud rate. To check the mini's baud rate, it must
NOT be connected to the radio side, otherwise you will see the remote radio's menu settings instead.

2) The second one can be tricky. The first question is: did you install the Microbit drivers first using the Microbit Setup
Manager? If you did install them before trying, then try a different USB cable. I have seen several bad USB cables and
recently even a bad USB connector in the RRC (wiggling the cable made it work). If that all is OK and still doesn't work,
then you need to go to http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=3200 and follow the directions there.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

w3hzz:
I changed the USB cable from CONTROL to computer. Success. Virtual drivers loaded. Computer CAT/logging control of K3/0 now working! Thanks.

I also updated the K3/0-mini firmware, was unable to figure out how to set the baudrate - seems to default to 38.4, but I am guessing that it will find the correct speed. But since I have the USB port working, that is a moot point.

Thanks for your help.

Phil, W3HZZ

w3hzz:
I spoke too soon. Although the CONTROL RR works great now that I swapped out the USB cable between the CONTROL RR and computer. I am able to use my regular loggin program as well as N1MM+, but the RADIO side isn’t working.

Decided to see if I could have the same luck with the RADIO setup. With a USB cable between the RADIO RR and my computer, I saw four new virtual COM ports (COM 22-25). I tried first my everyday logging program, N3FJP, and then N1MM+. Neither would connect with any of the 4 ports. I swapped out the USB cable from the CONTROL RR, just in case the cable was bad. No change.

Then I removed the USB cable and connected a serial cable between COM1 of the RADIO RR and the computer (using a Keyspan Serial USB adapter). I saw one new COM port, in this case COM14. I was able to use the logging program, and to get some functionality with N1MM+, namely I was able to have N1MM track frequency, but when I tried using the function keys to send CW, the TX light on the K3 lights, but I seem not to be sending anything. On the other hand, if I use the paddle, I am able to key the transmitter.

Clearly I have a setting not correct. Why doesn’t the USB cable work on the Radio RR? It does on the other side

Why don’t I hear a tone when using the function keys with COM1 port connected? Baudrate is 9600. The K3 TX lights, but I am not sure i am sending anything.

Any thoughts appreciated.....

Phil, W3HZZ

dj0qn:
Phil,

It is hard to know for sure what the problem is, but here are some tips:

- First of all, what are the serial settings for COM1 on the radio RRC?
- You said that you see four new virtual COM ports (COM 22-25). The only one that is relevant is the one marked COM1.
- I was unable to figure out which chip the Keyspan uses, Prolific or FTDI. The Prolific chip is very flaky and generally can
not be used. One with a FTDI chip will work fine. Remember to set use USB to No if using this cable.
- You wrote in the last posting that the baud rate is 9600, but the previous post you said it was 38.6k. Which is correct?
   This ties back to my first question about the settings. If it is 38.6k, then the software should be set to that, too.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

w3hzz:
Mitch,
Thanks for your patience....

Serial settings on RadioRRC:
COM1 mode   mode-7
COM1 baudrate   9600
COM1 data bits   8
COM1 stop bits   1
COM1 parity   0-Off
COM1 rts/cts   No
COM1 terminator (hex) 00

COM2 mode   Logical parallel with Com0
COM2 baudrate   38400
COM2 data bits   8
COM2 stop bits   1
COM2 parity   0-Off
COM2 terminator (hex) 0

I have a USB connected to Computer at REMOTE site, I see these ports:
Microbit virtual Comport (COM1)
RRC 1258 Come 0 (COM24)
RRC 1258 COM1 (COM22)
RRC 1258 COM2 (COM 23)
RRC 1258 COMExtra (COM25)
USB Serial Port (COM5)
USB Serial Port (COM4) (These last two are Green Heron rotator and unused)

I am unable to get connectivity with any of these. When I try to connect COM1 with N1MM+, I am told the port is being used by another application. When I try to connect to COM 22-25, nothing happens.

Recall that for the CONTROL setting, with a USB cable to a local computer, I get full rig control and I am able to send CW using the function keys of N1MM. In otherwords, the CONTROL functions perfectly.

On CONTROL, I have same settings as RADIO and USB is Yes. There is no setting on RADIO RR for USB

If I remove the USB cable on RADIO side and connect a serial cable with a Keyspan Serial converter (I have tried two) from RADIO RRC to Computer, I see COM1, COM4&5, and COM17. I am able to connect N1MM+ to COM17 and I am able to get rig control )it shows tuning, I can click and change frequency, etc, but I am unable to send CW through N1MM function keys.

I agree that there must be a setting off, but I am unable to find it. Baudrate for COM1 is set to 9600 for CONTROL and REMOTE. Baudrate for COM2 is 38400 for both CONTROL and REMOTE.

It appears that the Keyspan/TrippLite use FTDI, not prolific, chips.

Thanks again for your thoughts,

Phil, W3HZZ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version