Author Topic: Remote Rig setup using K3 mini Control and K3 at Remote site  (Read 7838 times)

K1UO - Larry

• View Profile
    • Email
Just a quick question..  If the Remote K3 is at a friends home, and is his primary radio, can he just turn off the Remote Rig at his end and use his radio normally? or are there cable swaps that need to be done?  Of course when he turns the Remote Rig back on I assume it will reconnect to the Control unit end and Remote operation can begin.  Am I understanding this concept correctly?
Am hoping to be able to  get on the air once again in 2015.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
The bottom line answer is YES.

However, you do need to do some extra wiring at the beginning to make it work both ways, but that
is not that difficult. It entails taking CAT off of COM1 of the radio RRC locally, and using a VGA Y-cable
for the ACC port if needed.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

G4IRN

I operate my K3 from both the home shack and remotely when I'm away from home.

* The K3's 15 way ACC is on a splitter, as Mitch describes (split between Radio-RRC and a Microham unit).
* The radio's CAT lead is selected from ether the 9 way CAT lead from the Microham unit (for home operation) or the Radio-RRC (for remote operation)  by a serial switch box. I just need to remember to switch the CAT connection over before leaving home.
* The RRC's CW lead is in parallel with my home keyer.
* The RRC's audio lead is plugged in the back of the K3 - since I use headphones at home it doesn't impact my use of the radio.

John G4IRN.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
John,

I can send Larry a link if he wants where I bought the VGA Y-cable in the U.S., works great.

I find my method for CAT easier, no switch necessary. Just change the radio RRC's COM1 to
mode-7 and pull CAT off there. I run that to my P3, for example.

You are right about audio, I forgot to mention it. I use a standard Y-cable for audio out. For
microphone, it depends upon if you use a front or rear mic. If you use a front mic at the
station, just set one of the PF keys to toggle between front and rear mic input.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K1UO - Larry

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks guys...excellent info...  I still probably should get the setup checklist for the Remote Rigs from you Mitch  (k1uo at tds dot net) if you get a chance.  A friend and I should be experimenting before Mid Jan
HNY all

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Hi Larry,

I sent you the checklist.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

w4rm

• View Profile
    • Email
Can I get a copy of the checklist as well?  W4RM@aol dot com

Thanks 73 Bill  W4RM

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Bill, I will send it to you when I get home in a couple of hours.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K3TN

• View Profile
Hi, Mitch - I'd like a copy of that checklist as well. I'd be glad to download if it is online somewhere, or you can email to jpescatore at aol dot com.

I'm in the final stages of getting a K3/Mini to control my K3 at a remote site. it is a 120 mile round trip, so the checklist may help me from yet another oops return trip!

73 John K3TN

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Hi John,

I just sent it to you. I edit it quite often, so I don't have it uploaded anywhere.

It is extremely important to test your station outside of your radio's network before leaving
the area. Either go to a neighbor's house, or use 4G or similar. Also don't forget to forward
the web port of the radio RRC to be able to make changes and update the firmware remotely
(add a web user and password for security).

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

k5aup

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Remote Rig setup using K3 mini Control and K3 at Remote site
« Reply #10 on: 2015-04-06, 04:53:15 »
 Mitch
Getting reset with K3 0 mini. Need check list for hooking up and setup for K3, K30 mini, N1mm, Stepper, P3 and M2 rotor. Any help out there? I've been using 2 K3 100 and using other means of controlling add on items.

Thanks for all you guys do to keep us on the air and up to date.

Jim
K5AUP

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Remote Rig setup using K3 mini Control and K3 at Remote site
« Reply #11 on: 2015-04-06, 11:04:39 »
Jim,

Please send me an email directly to dj0qn ( at ) darc.de and I will send it to you. The other items will take some explanation and time to explain, so we need to take the conversation off the forum.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX