Author Topic: RRC-Micro audio  (Read 5313 times)

KV6T

• View Profile
    • Email
RRC-Micro audio
« on: 2012-04-07, 08:29:45 »
I am having trouble getting good clean audio out with the RRC-Micro.   I tried a Logitech USB headset (works great with skype) - it's the only mic I have right  now for the computer.   The speech processor in the 480 makes things worse.   Tried playing around with the mic gain and the equalizer to no avail.

Can someone recommend a setup that works well....

Thanks!

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: RRC-Micro audio
« Reply #1 on: 2012-04-07, 09:40:11 »
How did you connect a USB headset to the RRC-Micro? It only has analog jacks
on it. I have never had an audio problem with it, but am puzzled by how you are
using it with that headset.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

KV6T

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2012-04-08, 08:34:38 »
You can select it when creating a profile in the RemoteRig software.   I figured if Microbit did not want to allow this, I figured they would not offer the option of selecting arbitrary Windows audio devices.

I was wondering what other hams use with the RRC-Micro.   Plain old analog computer headsets?   Heil headsets? 

If arbitrary Windows audio devices are not recommended, please let me know.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-04-08, 10:50:10 »
Hi
You are free to select which soundcard/USB device you want in the RRC-Micro software (in the connection setup dialog). But we decide to include our own soundcard in the USB/PTT dongle to be sure there is a working soundcard that we can support. As we are working with so small buffers it is very important that the sampling frequency is very accurate in the soundcard (eg a a hiqh quality crystal). But I haven't heard that there is any problem to use other standard soundcards/USB devices.

73 de mike

« Last Edit: 2012-04-08, 11:02:59 by sm2o »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2012-04-08, 11:08:23 »
I just bought a simple analog headset to use and have never had a problem. I
just assumed the whole time that you couldn't use a different USB sound card
input and the selection was there to make sure you selected the proper input.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

KV6T

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2012-04-08, 18:26:55 »
Thanks Mike and Mitch for your replies.

I spent some time trying to get this RRC-Micro audio issue sorted to no avail.   I can tell you that enabling the speech processor on the TS-480 results in garbled audio Tried playing around with mic gain and I get reports of being either "weak" or "over-driven".    Is it normal for it to be so sensitive?   Are there some other things I should try?   The USB headset is a Logitech which sounds crystal clear using other VOIP applications like Google voice and Skype.

I have no audio issues when using RRC-control and the Kenwood control head and mic.

Thanks,

Mark
KV6T