Author Topic: Now RRC 1258 turns on the K3 with OUT0 and a one shot board  (Read 4467 times)

KB7Q

• View Profile
    • Email
I've been using a DTMF controller/phone call to turn my Elecraft K3 transceiver on for remote operating with my pair of RCC 1258 boxes. I was looking for a way to use the I/O ports available on the radio side Remoterig unit to do the same task and eliminate the phone call with SKYPE.

I see that OUT0 on the radio side box can be set to go low when the control box connects to it in the I/O menu as a "connect" selection. The only trouble is that the K3 only need to see a momentary closure between pins 12 or 5 and pin 8 on the ACC connector, not a steady closure - that would make turning the rig off via TRX-Manager problematic.

Thanks to an Internet search I found the ELK 960 timer/relay board. It can be set to operate as a one shot circuit with an adjustable time for momentary relay contact closure. Perfect and cheap too - when OUT0 goes low because the boxes are connected the ELK 960 closes it's relay once for a few seconds and the K3 fires up. The circuit board is $29 USD.

The board arrived today and it a couple of hours I had the board cabled up and enclosed in a box and tested. It works as it should once I changed jumper 5 from the stock setting.

Here are a few links:
http://download.homesecuritystore.com/downloadmanual.aspx?FileName=ELK-960_Spec.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HN3C42?ie=UTF8&hvadid=12316314105&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvpone=25.95&hvpos=1t1&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvrand=1627464901386610668&ref=pd_sl_6e8e46oe8n_e&tag=googhydr-20

Anyhow, with the thought that somebody might find this useful, I stuck the information up here. You can probably tell I've been having great fun perfecting my remote station control.

I have retained the DTMF/phone set up as it does control AC power to the whole station as my fail/safe fall back to reset the Remoterig units and the DSL modem/router etc. in the event something (most likely the DSL modem) freezes up.

Best,
Gene, KB7Q
Bozeman, Montana

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Now RRC 1258 turns on the K3 with OUT0 and a one shot board
« Reply #1 on: 2012-05-08, 08:38:30 »
You do not have to make any hardware to switch on the K3. Setting OUT0 to Connected is all you need to do, that's the way its done in the K3 Twin setup. The K3 do not need a pulse it just need a grounding, and it can be held grounded until you disconnect. But the K3 only switch off after reciveing a OFF command from the PC and release of the OUT0

73 de mike

KB7Q

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Now RRC 1258 turns on the K3 with OUT0 and a one shot board
« Reply #2 on: 2012-05-08, 15:08:44 »
Ah, I see that Mike. The PS0; K3 power off command does put the K3 into a interesting state of a blank front panel until the connection between the two RCC boxes drops. Simple is better, especially if Elecraft is happy with that approach!

I can re-purpose the timer/relay module as a fail/safe key down timer and move on to the next part of my remote project.

Thanks,
Gene