Author Topic: Unable to resolve remote rig.com  (Read 7571 times)

NN9K

• View Profile
    • Email
Unable to resolve remote rig.com
« on: 2012-07-10, 22:42:08 »
Another motel and the same problem--access tot he station did work for several days but I have had problems the last two nights.

Please see the attached file for the configuration information:

If I detach the Ethernet cable attached to the control RRC I can navigate the web and also ping my remote station location using its IP address.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter, NN9K
nn9k@arrl.net

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Unable to resolve remote rig.com
« Reply #1 on: 2012-07-11, 10:17:10 »
Hi Peter,

I do not understand what your problem is from your description, so I assume I am not the
only one. Is it on the control side, or the radio side? Have you successfully used it outside
the radio's network before?

I just used your data to try a connect, but it didn't work. It could be that your radio RRC is
turned off, or that the IP address did not update properly. You should not place this detailed
information on the forum, so I suggest that you delete it. I can help you more if you e-mail
me directly at dj0qn (at) darc.de, otherwise the guys in Sweden can help.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

NN9K

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2012-07-11, 15:09:55 »
OK let's get detailed. On the radio side there is a web server that allows me to apply or remove power to the RRC and the radio. Both the RRC and the radio are not powered when I am not using them.

The status listing is from the radio  RRC and since I can access it there is a route between my motel location and the radio RRC. If you looked at it carefully you would have seen that the DNS status ine indicates that there is an Error. "Failed to resolve remoterig.com."

So it appears that that there is an DNS addressing problem!

Since I can access the web server and the RRC my router and LAN are working correctly. The radio and RRC are at my home so I know exactly how they are configured.

I'm on the road again this morning and hopefully will be at another location for a couple of days and then will return home late on the 15th.

The system performed nicely nicely for several days starting on 02 July. After leaving that location and not making any configuration changes the system fail to operate.

I was hoping that you or someone else would quickly see something that I missed.

Thanks.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-07-11, 15:18:38 »
That particular error message is usually irrelevant. If you could reach the radio
RRC's web server, this is confirmation that this is not the problem.

That is why I was asking for more specific details as to what the issue was with
the connection. Drop me a mail to let me know when power is turned on and I
will see if the problem is on the radio side. Then at least we can determine which
side the connection issue is on.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

NN9K

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2012-07-11, 23:21:54 »
Time for an update. I'm in South Dakota at a private residence using their wireless, same setup as I was using in the motels. Lo and behold everything works as designed!!

I'm wondering if the motel routers might be configured not to pass certain protocols. Never thought to try Skype or Apple's Face Time though.

Sorry for the bandwidth but do appreciate the assistance.

Only 95 degrees F here, not going to be running around outside. But it is a little cooler than it was yesterday in Miles City, MT--101 degrees there.

CUL

Pete, NN9K

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2012-07-11, 23:31:28 »
No problem, let me know if you need help locating the problem.

Have fun!

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

WW2DX (Lee)

• AOL Instant Messenger - ljimber
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-07-12, 23:09:20 »
Hi Pete,

What hotel/motels are sometimes doing is what is called a "Captive Portal", you connect to the wifi or ethernet in your room and when you attempt to surf the web you are immediately given the hotel's webpage where you have to "login" to use the internet access. Once you successfully authenticate with their service then your MAC address is allowed access to the internet. This sounds like the RRC gets an IP address but the captive portal system is not allowing the device access to the internet. This can be a big PITA for some devices like the RRC.

73 Lee
WW2DX

NN9K

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2012-07-12, 23:41:06 »
Thanks Lee, because that was just the scenario I was seeing in the locations where I was having problems.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2012-07-13, 09:42:45 »
Lee is right, as usual.

There have generally been two types of issues operating from hotel rooms and hotspots:

1) Port 5060 being blocked/used by the router. That is why one should never use port 5060 for
their RRC's. I noticed that Pete had changed that already, so that was not his problem.

2) The WiFi authentication  problem that Lee identified. That has been covered before:
http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=868.msg3497#msg3497
http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=953.msg3887#msg3887

Hope this helps someone else having these types of problems.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX