Author Topic: remote rig - solution for "clubstation" mode ?  (Read 6757 times)

DL5CW

• View Profile
    • Email
remote rig - solution for "clubstation" mode ?
« on: 2010-02-11, 13:42:12 »
Hi all,

has anyone a solution for "clubstation" mode, using
two or more RRC-1258MKII at the control sites (with TS-480 panel)
and one RRC-1258MKII at the radio site?

How can I ensure, that only one remote operator can use the rig at the radio site?

Any idea?

73!

Andy, DL5CW

N6GOZ

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: remote rig - solution for "clubstation" mode ?
« Reply #1 on: 2010-02-11, 20:19:09 »
I have similar situation/project for a cub station that will be used by club members only who live in apartments /retirement homes etc and cannot have access to amateur radio because of either anteanna or equipment limitations. Looking for the solution that will allow them to log in remotely with password level prtotection to access radios from their remote locations.  ANy ideas /help/ is there a way to use this product for this application.

Thanks/73's
Mike
N6goz

dj4mz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-02-12, 14:29:04 »
Hi Andy,

I also have thought about sharing a clubstation. My problem at that time was, where do you get the additional front panels from?

But now about your problem. I'm not sure but I would expect that if there is only one instance listening on the respective service ports at the radio site, then a second operator trying to connect simply shouldn't get a connection...
@Mike: I don't think that any sort of authentication can easily be implemented as (at least in case of a TS-480, IC-706 with detached front panels) there is no way of entering a password. The solution is "PC free".

vy 73,
Simon

KI4STU

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2010-02-12, 16:05:36 »
I have a similar idea/desire.  My thought/desire would be for something like this:

RRC-1258MkII at the radio site (FT1000MP)

PC instead of RRC-1258MkII at the remote sites.  Some other software (Mike??) would be needed to "emulate" the RRC-1258MkII at each remote site.  Maybe something like HamRadioDeluxe could be used as the "radio panel" at the remote site (it would take some work to get HRD tied into the RRC-1258MkII emulation software?).  This would (in my simple mind) still allow each remote site to remotely use the rig (most important to me, I want remote straight key capabilities!).  Since the PC is not at the radio site, the "hard to get to" location should still remain stable.  Each remote site/user would need their own PC/software.

As for authentication, perhaps SSH could be used?  Each user would send all of the traffic (audio, control, etc.) across the SSH tunnel.  In this way, SSH would be used more for an authentication and transport mechanism (poor man's VPN) than for extra encryption.  This would depend on the capabilities of the RRC-1258MkII to handle the extra work for SSH and maintaining a user database.

-detrick
KI4STU

DL5CW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2010-02-12, 19:15:08 »
... yes Detrick it is an idea.

My association is not a pure remoterig solution.
A PC at the operator (control) side would be ok.
Maybe a PC combined with RRC-1258MKII and TS-480 panel,
but also a PC with RRC-1258MKII and virtual panel is supposable.

But at the radio side a "PC free" solution is essential !

73, Andy, DL5CW
« Last Edit: 2010-02-12, 19:18:59 by DL5CW »

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2010-02-17, 20:00:04 »
Yes you can use more than one Control-RRC to one Radio-RRC. Only one control RRC can be connected to the Radio RRC at the same time of course. The second control-RRC which tries to connected get a busy signal, and have to wait for the first one to disconnect. The system is used this way already.

73 de mike