Author Topic: Some Ports Open -- Some Ports Closed  (Read 6882 times)

N6TDC

• View Profile
    • Email
Some Ports Open -- Some Ports Closed
« on: 2013-01-06, 22:35:14 »
Hi all,

N6TP and I are trying to setup a RemoteRig setup at his shack to separate the front-panel of a Kenwood TS-480 from the rig ,via an internet connection.   We got it about 80% working --- just not the final 20%!

* ControlRRC and RadioRRC talk perfectly over the local network.   We can operate the radio perfectly on the local network (on the same router).  Audio, controls, CW keying, all work perfectly over IP.  It works great-- very cool.

* The RadioRRC is set up for Dynamic DNS, and the Radio webserver (port 80) is working great ---- I can see the RadioRRC webserver on the public internet using my iPhone, or a computer at a different QTH.

* Obviously, port 80 has been successfully opened.    I can see that it's opened using the Open Port Checker Tool at http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

* However, ports 5060, 11000, 12000 are reported by that website as NOT opened.    The RadioRRC does not respond to the ControlRRC from outside the network.   

* It didn't seem to make a difference whether using our D-Link router's "DMZ" feature or the Port-Forwarding screen-- ports 5060, 11000 and 12000 aren't open.   I set up port-forwarding on BOTH TCP and UCP ports.  (I know what port-forwarding is, but I don't know the difference between TCP and UCP, so I set them both.)

* We are using a D-Link DIR-655 router with these settings:

These are the only next steps I can think of:

(1) See if D-Link router is opening the ports correctly.
    Verify the D-Link router can open ports to other IPs -->
    Try forwarding these ports to another IP (say a computer) -->
    Open the port on the computer -- using one of the port testing software programs recommended  by Dave4E in this post
    Verify the port is shown as open on http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
     If the port still isn't shown as open, update D-Link firmware

(2) D-Link router shouldn't have both the TCP and UDP ports forwarded --> Open only the UDP port

(3) RadioRRC isn't opening the ports correctly --> Impossible since we can connect to it on the LAN

Not sure what else to try!?   Are there any known issues or  tricks using a D-Link router for RemoteRig?  Are there any other possible problems/fixes I've forgotten?
Thanks for any advice,
Jim N6TDC/8
« Last Edit: 2013-01-06, 22:42:56 by N6TDC »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Some Ports Open -- Some Ports Closed
« Reply #1 on: 2013-01-06, 23:00:28 »
Jim,

Drop me a mail to dj0qn (at) darc.de and I will send you my networking checklist
to walk you through the process. You may find the problem that way.

Otherwise, looking at you router, usually these entries separate incoming and
outgoing ports. In your case, you use tcp in one direction and udp on the other.
Try changing the three udp ports to only udp and see if that helps.

I can help you test your system from here to help identify the problem if you want.

Mitch DJ0QN /K7DX

N6TDC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-01-07, 03:16:18 »
Drop me a mail to dj0qn (at) darc.de and I will send you my networking checklist
to walk you through the process. You may find the problem that way.

Thanks Mitch, I sent you an email and hope we can followup soon.

N6TDC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-02-22, 13:17:46 »
To close this one out, we worked with Mitch's checklist and everything is working now. 

It did require a change to our Wireless router --- we weren't able to get our existing Wireless router to open the ports --- However, we installed a Linksys router instead and it worked great.   

Thanks!