Author Topic: Can I buy all cables pre-made?  (Read 8600 times)

kb6vtu

• View Profile
Can I buy all cables pre-made?
« on: 2012-04-11, 19:54:44 »
Hi,

I'm very interested in using a RemoteRig, but I'm concerned about making up all the cables. I'd like to use the RR with my IC-7000, but I'm willing to buy a new radio if it means can buy pre-made cables. If I buy the Kenwood TS-480SAT with the "Kenwood Microphone adapter cables" from RemoteRig will I have to do any soldering? Or would that all be plug and play?

I very capable with the routers, but I've heard that soldering the cables from the IC-7000 can be difficult? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,
josh
KB6VTU at ARRL.NET

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Can I buy all cables pre-made?
« Reply #1 on: 2012-04-11, 21:00:18 »
Josh,

Making cables is easy compared to building and modifying rigs as a radio amateur  ;)

Anyway, the TS-480 uses standard RJ-45 (ethernet) cables for the microphone input and
a semi-standard RJ-11 (3-line telephone cable) between the RRC and control head. The
European version includes a mobile mounting bracket that contains a second RJ-11 cable
(one long, one short). I think in the U.S. version you only have the long one, so you need
to go to Radio Shack or Fry's and buy a 3-line telephone cord (this has all the wires
connected, which you can see when looking at both sides of the connector).

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

kb6vtu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-04-11, 21:05:49 »
Is it possible to buy all the cable pre-made from RemoteRig?
thx,
josh

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-04-11, 21:10:35 »
What is the logic of doing so for the TS-480 if the cables are all included anyway, except for one that you can get for a
couple of Dollars around the corner?

The cable sold by RemoteRig at http://shop.microbit.se/webshop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=56
is for an 8-pin microphone, the TS-480 has a standard RJ-45.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

kb6vtu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-04-12, 07:51:50 »
Hi Mitch,

I don't own a RemoteRig yet so I don't really know what type of cables need to be made or what the best radio is to use with remote rig. I understand the radio I do own, the IC-7000 is not a good candidate for RemoteRig. Can you tell me in your opinion what is the best radio to use with RemoteRig? I'm usually pretty good at making cables, but I read some users saying that the cables for some radios had wires that were so small they were difficult to solder. I'm looking for the simplest solution. Any help is appreciated.

Also can you recommend a good power supply I can leave on 24/7. The Astron 35M I already own gets piping hot and I'm concerned it could cause a fire at a remote location. Is there another good power supply that would stay cool and be good for a remote radio?
Thank you,
josh

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2012-04-12, 08:14:07 »
Hi Josh,

The IC-7000 can not be used at all with RemoteRig with its head separated like the TS-480. The
TS-480 is not a top rig, but is excellent for its price class and satisfies most people. If you want
the best, then get a K3/100 and a K3/0 to remote control it. Of course, you get what you pay for  ;)

I have had an Astron SS-30 running for over five years 24/7 without a problem, but you may prefer
something with a fan running. Since it will be in a remote location, noise will not be an issue. Others
may chime in with their suggestions. I prefer Astrons, even though I need to import them from
the States, since they are not available here.

As for the cabling; just download and read the manual to understand that part. Like I wrote previously,
you will not need to build any cables if you buy the TS-480.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

kb6vtu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-04-12, 20:41:11 »
Thank you.

wa1gzy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-12-15, 15:31:36 »
Microbit should have the cables available. They accept PayPal and/or credit cards. Contact them via email to confirm.
I ordered wifi module, RC1216H and cables for Icom and Kenwood radios.
73 Richard WA1GZY

WW2DX (Lee)

• AOL Instant Messenger - ljimber
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-12-16, 18:00:54 »
Hi Josh,

If you happen to go with the K3 Twins (highly recommended) you can purchase all the pieces from Elecraft directly.

http://www.elecraft.com/elecraft_prod_list.htm#k3remote

73 and GL with the project,

Lee
WW2DX