Author Topic: Yaesu 857D Control head will not power up from RCC-1258MKII REV7  (Read 12283 times)

N2oel

• View Profile
    • Email
New installation.   All cables have been double checked for continuity and correct wiring.   The RCC-1258MKII REV7 it will not power the display unit attached to the control Portion of the RCC-1258MKII.

My friend Peter, W2BIT, thinks he has narrowed down the problem.    In the manual the diagram on page 147 shows that pin 4 at the control panel of the FT-857d should be 8V DC.

(As a side note this is wrong because Yeasu uses 9V DC.)

We get between 0.52 & 0.78V DC.

We first used the supplied wall wart PSU.  When that did not work we connected it to a 20A 13.8V DC PSU, but there was no difference.

Pin 2 the power switch is @ 5V DC in standby and goes to 0.1 V dc when pressed, so the logic trigger is there for power on.

Jumper 1 is off, Jumper 2 is off, Jumper 3 is on and jumper 5 is off.

Any information would be appreciated.

Noel                         N2OEL at ARRL dot net

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Hi

what happen when you press the pwr on button ? The yellow LED over the MIC/AUX should turn ON. Power to the panel is not applied until the connection is up. The most common problem when starting FT-857 is at radio end. The FT-857 almost make a short circuit to the 13,8V when it's switched on and if the PS can't handle it and the RRC is connected to the same PS it will restart. If that's the case try with a separate PS for the Radio-RRC.

/mike

N2oel

• View Profile
    • Email
After trying the OEM PS, we used a 20 Amp Astron supply.   It has enough power to run the complete radio on transmitting at full power.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
You do not answer my question ?

Lot of 20A power supplys can not handle the rush current the FT-857 create, the voltage drops low enough for the RRC-to reset

/mike
« Last Edit: 2013-01-30, 07:39:49 by sm2o »

N2oel

• View Profile
    • Email
When you press the power button the yellow light over the MIC/AUX DOES NOT light.
As for the power supply concept: When the radio head is attached to the 857 and the Rig is powered the 857 works perfectly even though the TCC-MKII radio control unit is still attached, powered on and being monitored by the setup manager application.
The Status page on the web interface shows no interruptions of the up time when the 857 is powered on.
As a further elimination of power being the issue I have hooked up the 857 to an 880 CCA deep cycle battery, the control unit to the 20A power supply and radio unit to the supplied power supply and had no change. I also tried at 1 point The radio on a 880 CCA deep cycle battery, the control unit with face plate from 857 to a 500 CCA deep cycle battery and the radio unit to a different 500 CCA deep cycle battery.
The yellow light over the MIC/AUX never even blinks.

If the trigger signal from the 857 faceplate is coming in on Pin 1 of the TTL connector of the Control unit then power should be supplied to the radio head unit soon after on Pin 2.
This does not happen.
 From Peter W2BIT

Noel   N2OEL

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Have you bought the set from us ?
If so there is pcb instead of the strappings, but if you have used red straps check them with an ohm meter, they can be broken even if you can not see it, also verify the placement of the straps, some people have turned the boxes 180 deegres when placing the straps.

Check the control cables, if they are from us the yellow mark should be at the end connected to the RRC.

You can also email me exported settings from both units

73 de mike

N2oel

• View Profile
    • Email
We bought it from Ham Radio Outlet.

G4ERW

• View Profile
I had (and still have to some extent) a similar problem as reported in the link below.

http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=1694.0

Although the power supply I am now using (Daiwa PS304) is working OK there have been the odd occasions where the FT-857 has locked up. I now have the FT-857 powered from the Daiwa PS304 and the RRC-1258 Remote powered from a seperate 2A 12V supply. Using DTMF control over the phone, I can remotely power on/off each power supply.
However, the ONLY way I can reset the FT-857 is to go to the remote site and connect the head-unit directly. Powering the FT-857 off and then on (whilst the RRC-1258 remains powered up) does NOT reset the FT-857.

Any suggestions appreciated although I will continue to investigate and report back any findings.

73's David G4ERW

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
I don't think there is anything to do about the "Locking up of the FT-857". It's something Yaesu has missed when they developed the rig, either it's a software or a hardware bug, and a fix has to be done inside the FT-857.

73 de mike