Author Topic: rf feedback  (Read 5136 times)

py5eg

• View Profile
    • Email
rf feedback
« on: 2013-04-18, 21:13:27 »
Dear folks

I kindly ask if some user of the Remoterig Elecraft setup to share information on the following issues:

1) On SSB there is a kind of rf feedback with a certain delay
2) If I reduce the power output to less than 11 watts the feedback disapear.
3) I´m also noticing an intermitent audio cut - sometimes is impossible to operate.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance

Oms

W1UE

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: rf feedback
« Reply #1 on: 2013-04-19, 00:44:48 »
Oms

How do you hear the feedback?  Is it in the audio stream from the Remote Rig unit?  Can you hear it if you listen to your on-air
signal?

What kind of audio cut- transmit or receive?  I occasionally lose Rx audio on my unit, and must reconnect.  It happens irregularly but its been about 10 hours of operation since it last happened.  Is that what you mean?

Dennis W1UE

windymiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-08-25, 18:40:51 »
I found this thread whilst searching to see if a problem I have had been discussed before.  It might be sort of RF feedback related, may not be....

I have a 480 SAT, both a pair of RRC1258 MkII's, and an RRC PC Micro Client to go with it.  So that  the PC Micro client is always "Ready to go" should I be out and about and decide I want to use it, I have got the 2 RRC-1258's set up permanently (until the day I decide to take the 480's head unit out and about too) at home.  They connect to each other over the home LAN, so that even when I am at home, and the head unit is 3" away from the main unit, the head / base communication runs through the RRC's.  All works well.  Until I tried it today on SSB.  On doing that, there seems to be some kind of feedback that upsetting the microphone circuit.

If I plug the microphone directly into the 480 base unit, all works as it should on SSB.  A whistle test invokes a swinging ammeter on the PSU, and a similarly swinging power indicator on the 480 display.  The current/power falls off as fast as the whistle does.

On trying the same thing through the RRC's, its a different story.  ON a whistle, the current and the power go up, but then stay up, with a "fluttering" noise emanating from the mic, even when the PTT is pressed.  It eventually comes back down, but after seconds.  Put the mic back into the base unit directly, and all is well again.  Try it on AM or FM and all is well also.  It just doesn't seem to like operating on SSB in this setup.

The RRC pair is as far away from the 480 base unit as the supplied shielded RJ45 lead will permit - So not far - About 6"! and there are no expected problems with stray RF.  It doesn't really matter which antenna I test it with, but even on the Sirio Gainmaster, which has a good reputation for being common mode current free, it does it.

Appreciate that in expected operation, the control RRC would be well remote from the transceiver and radio RRC, but was not expecting this problem.  Could dispense with the Control RRC and connect the head unit directly again, but then I will need to remember to change over leads anytime I leave the house, in case I decide to connect in remotely with the PC client.

Have tried adding a few ferrites (from the limited little pile I have) to no effect.  I could maybe get more separation between the transceiver/radio RRC pairing and the head unit/control RRC, which will involve a bit of carpentry to make some new shelving to separate them with.

Just wondered, before I embark on that, if this has been seen before?

Cheers

W6SA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-08-26, 18:27:49 »

I have a similar issue with my FT-1000 MP MKV.

If you have your processor on try turning it off.  Solved my problem.

Probably there is an adjustment (to the audio supplied to the rig) that can be made to settings that I have been too lazy to investigate.  It works doesn't it?...

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2013-08-26, 21:00:25 »
There is two different mic connections on TS-480 the old and new one. They made a misstake which they fixed. If you have used the  wrong strap settings the TS-480 will be sensitive to RF-feedback. as the MIC GND and GND is shifted. Check the manual and try the other setting. This can also happen if the MIC GND wire is broken.

73 de mike