Author Topic: Update or not update to latest FW RRC?  (Read 3918 times)

IZ4MJP

• View Profile
    • Email
Update or not update to latest FW RRC?
« on: 2013-05-20, 17:25:28 »
Might seems a trivial question but for me is not.

I use 2 sets of RemoteRig to control a TS-2000 and a TS-480 SAT.

After months of setup i've found the right balance and stability (i pilot an Expert 1K, a Dinamic antenna, a Rotor, CAT, ecc).

The 4 units use software 2.62.

I see on the RemoteRig website that software reached version 2.72.

None of the new features are of my interest (at first sight) and so i'm wondering if worth to update from 2.62 to 2.72 (taking the risks to experience some problems) or is better remain on 2.62.
What i do not undestand is if new FW/SW better improves other function of the R.R. System (not mentioned in the FW release).

Many thanks.

Vy 73
Franco, IZ4MJP

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Update or not update to latest FW RRC?
« Reply #1 on: 2013-05-21, 09:06:17 »
In general what a new FW release means is what the release notes say. So if you have a stable system with all the features you need there is no actual need to update just for the sake of updating. What maybe might be causing a future "problem" is if you decide to stay on the same version so long that there will be many updates with significant changes released after that version and you eventually decide to update the "jump" will be bigger with more changes to learn and possible different functions.
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

IZ4MJP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-21, 09:44:26 »
Thanks Jan.
I supposed that.
I'll proceede with an update.

Just the last info: do you suggest to jump installing directly v. 2.72 or step by step (ex 2.65 restart, then 2.66 restart and so on)?

Franco, IZ4MJP

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-05-21, 10:26:39 »
Just the last info: do you suggest to jump installing directly v. 2.72 or step by step (ex 2.65 restart, then 2.66 restart and so on)?

Franco, IZ4MJP
The update process is designed to handle "jumping" from for ex. 2.66 to 2.72 in one single update so that should work ok. Just make sure you review the settings after the update to make sure any existing settings are the same(which they should be) and any new have correct values. Also review the release notes from 2.67->2.72 in order to see if there is something else you need to think of.
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.