Author Topic: Irregular CW Keying at Radio  (Read 4435 times)

N6NR

• View Profile
Irregular CW Keying at Radio
« on: 2013-05-26, 04:06:12 »
I am having a problem on CW when I connect to my friend's K3 about 30 miles away.  The dots and dashes on his radio end are very irregular, which makes my send unable to be copied.  On this end they sound correct.  I have looked at some buffer settings, but nothing seems to help.  Sending CW with my own K3 on my home LAN works just fine.  Anyone else have this problem and found a fix?

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Irregular CW Keying at Radio
« Reply #1 on: 2013-05-26, 08:24:27 »
Irregular CW transmitting as you describe is caused by jitter on the internet, you must increase the Key delay on the Keyer settings page. Try with at least 50 first.

73 de mike

N6NR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-26, 17:00:32 »
Thanks, Mike.  I will give that a try.  I also received an email off-forum that suggested that I immediately update the firmware.  My friend's boxes (and mine as well) are currently running 2.68. We both received our K3/0 devices about a month ago from Elecraft. 

Also, his router does port forwarding using a technique called "virtual server."  His ISP also recommended using port triggering on those ports (11000, 12000, 5060).  I somewhat disagree in that port triggering should not be required, and could add additional jitter.  Unfortunately, I am not a networking expert.  Your thoughts?

Just an aside comment, congratulations on such a wonderful product.  It has been such a blessing to do remote operation with the combination of the RemoteRig devices and the K3/0.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-05-26, 20:16:59 »
Hi

Port triggering is not needed.

73 de mike