Author Topic: TS 590, IC7600, TenTec Omni VI... which do I remote?  (Read 7870 times)

KQ0C

• View Profile
    • Email
I am about to set up a remote station at my mountain top cabin which I have previously used as a contest location. I am concerned about leaving my absolute best gear in line because I have a lot of lightning issues (K3, Alpha 9500) so I am going to take a walk before you run approach. I have several older radios that I want to start with... a simple set up at first. I could use a Kenwood TS 590S (probably my first choice) an Icom 7600 or an older TT Omni VI. Are any of these going to be the better choice? I would use HRD for rig control. The Kenwoods always seem to have the most robust rig control set up. But the 590s does use a USB CAT connection rather than the older style Kenwood RS232. Can I use a USB connection to the RemoteRig box? Also the Kenwood has in internal sound card... will that still function in the remote set up?

Aside from having several Alpha Delta lightning protection devices in line is there a simple way to remotely disconnect antennas? I see the 10 position antenna switch as somewhat attractive there, but I want to get a basic setup running before I add all that complexity.

Do people leave the power supply on, or switch it on/off remotely? How?

Thanks for answering a newbie,

KQ0C
Ash

VE7GTC

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: TS 590, IC7600, TenTec Omni VI... which do I remote?
« Reply #1 on: 2013-09-12, 20:45:27 »
Assuming the TS590 has some of the same features that my TS2000 does, I would lean that way. If you are using HRD for rig control, as far as I know you will not be able to power up or off the IC7600 remotely, as you can with Kenwood stuff (at least my TS2000 and TS480 work that way). For remote power up, I use a WEMO switch for my amp. It is available at Home Depot, and will turn an AC socket on and off and can handle up to 1500 watts remotely assuming you have an ipad or iphone. Sorry, I have no experience with Ten Tec stuff.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-09-12, 20:54:40 »
Ash,

Welcome to the world of remoting. You asked a lot of varied questions that could be answered in many different ways
over many pages. However, I will try to give you a couple of starting points.

The RemoteRig RRC system provides several advantages over leaving a PC running at the remote site:

Advantages over traditional remote control methods:
      o Embedded device - set and forget. User can not mess-up the interface such as they can on a PC running Windows.
      o No PC needs to be running at the remote site
      o Small size and low power consumption (2.2 watts using 13.8 volts)
      o No issue with installing and running in a rough environment such as a mountaintop
      o High quality audio (using SIP protocol) with selectable CODEC's
      o Extremely low latency (about 20 ms). I know of users that use RemoteRig for QSK CW at 40 WPM over the internet
      o Built-in CW keyer allowing the use of a paddle
      o Two built-in serial port servers for e.g. CAT and one other device (e.g. rotator or amplifier)
      o Support for multiple locations (profiles) to switch between remote station locations on the fly
      o Support for a virtual FSK COM port, and/or the operator can use digital modes (e.g. AFSK, PSK31, etc.) by connecting an audio
        cable to the control RRC box
      o When using a transceiver that has a separate control head, such as the TS-480, or the twin concept, such as the K3 Twin (2x K3's
        or a K3 + K3/0) or Yaesus, one can use the control head or other rig at the remote location as if the rest of the transceiver is also
        local. This makes for a far better user experience than being dependent upon using only PC software for transceiver control.

Disadvantages over traditional remote control:
      o Cost is about $500 per set (would however save money if a PC is not installed remotely)
      o Requires some networking knowledge to make the initial set-up, after that essentially "plug and play"
      o Cost of 2nd K3 or K3/0 or Yaesu transceiver if you wish to have the "Twin" experience

My basic suggestion to anyone getting a new transceiver to use with RemoteRig is to get one with a remotable head, such as the TS-480.
This provides a so much better experience than using software control, that I couldn't imagine using it another way. Since the system
passes CAT, you can still load HRD or whatever you want and do rig control, logging, etc. as well.

To answer you other questions:

USB: No, this will not work
Sound card: the system goes to the speaker output, so this has no influence
Antenna disconnect: there are many ways to do so using a relay. The RRC even has the possibility to be used as a switch for relays as well
(look at manual for details)
Power supply: your decision, but an IP controlled power strip is inexpensive and easy to implement. You can turn power for AC devices on
and off that way by using a web browser or (in some cases) a smartphone app.

If you want more details from me, I suggest you e-mail me directly at dj0qn (at) darc.de.

Maybe someone else on here would like to give you their opinion. There is no right and no wrong way to do anything and everyone has their own preferences.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

« Last Edit: 2013-09-13, 16:29:37 by dj0qn »

sm0mdg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-10-11, 09:57:59 »
Ash,

My basic suggestion to anyone getting a new transceiver to use with RemoteRig is to get one with a remotable head, such as the TS-480.
This provides a so much better experience than using software control, that I couldn't imagine using it another way. Since the system
passes CAT, you can still load HRD or whatever you want and do rig control, logging, etc. as well.

This is a major learning and I totally agree. I started off with HRD then went to TRX Manager but finally throw all software solutions out the door after trying the TS-480 setup which I have been happily using for a few years now. I also have a K3-K3/0 combo for more demanding contesting and DXing. The difference compared to software control is huge! The only viable option would be software with a hardware controller, but still most software solutions introduce lag and responsiveness is a major concern for contesting.

I just wish that Mike finally would get a TS-590 to TS-590 option available as this is a very capable and affordable contest radio. When that happens, I will be first in line.

73 de Björn
SM0MDG
VP2MSW
V21BM
SE0X

4Z4OQ

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: TS 590 - best option with out solution
« Reply #4 on: 2013-11-06, 13:50:31 »
Agree