Author Topic: webswitch connection terminals  (Read 5348 times)

Beck

• View Profile
webswitch connection terminals
« on: 2013-09-13, 22:41:46 »
After 60 years experience with making electronics connections to a vast number of circuit boards and devices I find myself stymied by the connection terminals on this unit!  For a 16 amp rating one would think they would take #14 wire, but no.  I only have #14 wire here at the remote location at this time.  Does the wire go above or below the small plate visible in the hole?  I took off a few strands and  I have tried both places above and below the hole and tightened the screw only to find the wire pulls out easily.  What am I doing wrong and why??

Beck

• View Profile
Re: webswitch connection terminals
« Reply #1 on: 2013-09-14, 11:22:27 »
This is serious and the whole thing seems stupid.  I found a pair of number 16 stranded on a power plug and tried them with no success. Now the terminal #19 is over tightened and unusable.  No matter what I did the wire just pulled out after tightening the screw.  Obviously hundreds of people must be using these terminals successfully but I can't get them to work.  Getting Remoterig equipment working over the internet was simple compared to the problems I am having with these obviously simple terminals.  I cannot understand it at all.

Beck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-09-14, 15:35:20 »
OK, #19 appears to have been defective and now using the other terminals with no problem! Hesitated to try them before in case I would ruin them too.  Good thing I don't require all the switches.

73 Reg

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-09-16, 10:23:31 »
The connection terminals are specified to fit wires up to an area of 2.5 mm2, which is what is required for 16 A, at least here in the "mm2" part of the world. According to this table:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/awg-wire-gauge-d_731.html

a #13 wire is 2.63 mm2, so most likely such a wire will fit too. As a #14 is smaller it should fit too.

The wire should be placed above the small metal plate as the plates go down when unscrewing the terminals.
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.