Author Topic: Setup Manage v1.25  (Read 7232 times)

N7IP

• View Profile
    • Email
Setup Manage v1.25
« on: 2013-11-21, 06:20:36 »
I just installed this version of the USB drivers and now my 64-bit WIN7 PC no longer recognizes the remoterig. No virtual serial ports appear when I plug the USB cable into the PC. No hidden ports. I've tried restarting everything.

Thanks for any help,

Bob, N7IP

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Setup Manage v1.25
« Reply #1 on: 2013-11-21, 08:22:20 »
Hi Bob,

Which FW version do you have in your RRCs? Which version of Setup Manager did you have before 1.25?

Could you  try to run the attached program? It needs to be "run as administrator". It will create a log file named "DeviceInfoLog.txt" in a sub folder to "My Documents" called "MicrobitLogs". Send that log file to me.
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

N7IP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-11-21, 16:45:38 »
Firmware version is 2.72 and s/n = 2976. I'm not sure which version of setup manager was installed previously. I think is was 1.17. Attached are the logs.

Bob

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-11-21, 18:29:49 »
According to the Device info log there should be a number of COM ports belonging to two different RRCs:

MB      Ports   RRC1258 COM2 (COM7)
MB      Ports   RRC1258 COM2 (COM14)
MB      Ports   RRC1258 COM0 (COM5)
MB      Ports   RRC1258 COM0 (COM13)
MB      Ports   RRC1258 COM1 (COM6)
MB      Ports   RRC1258 COM1 (COM15)
MB      Ports   RRC1258 COMFSK (COM3)
MB      Ports   RRC1258 COMFSK (COM16)

But none of those show up when you connect the RRC to the PC? They are not even visible in Device Manager when you enable "Show hidden devices"?

If so then they might to have to be uninstalled so that when you reconnect the RRC they will be re-installed by Windows. To do that follow these steps:

1/
Get the new version of MicrobitDeviceInfo that I have attached.

2/
Disconnect all Microbit devices(RRC/Webswitch)

3/
Run MicrobitDeviceInfo  as admin (as before)

4/
Answer Y (also as before)

5/
Answer U to the question "Do you want to uninstall all Microbit devices?"

6/
Press C to confirm "Will uninstall Microbit devices!"

7/
Have a look at the DeviceInfoLog.txt and you should find that the devices which were marked as "MB" are gone. (Look from the end of the file since text is appended to the log for each time you run MicrobitDeviceInfo )

/8
Reconnect the RRC and see if the ports reappear.

N7IP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2013-11-21, 18:58:41 »
Yes, none of the ports show up when I plug the RRC into the PC, even with "show hidden devices on" and also set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1. The new program you sent ran fine. Log is attached. Afterward, I plugged the RRC into the PC and nothing was recognized. I rebooted and tried again, but nothing happened. (Setup Mgr was not installed at the time.) I installed Setup Mgr 1.25 and still when I plugged the RRC into the PC, nothing showed up.

I tried to install this RRC on another 64-bit WIN PC and that worked fine, so it seems the box is OK.

Bob

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2013-11-22, 06:55:57 »
What if you first do the "uninstall" sequence, then run the program once again without doing uninstallation, then plug in the RRC and finally run the Info program again without uninstall? That way the log would show the RRC ports gone and then reappear after you plug it in.

You do not even see a HID device popping up in Dev Mgr when plugging in the RRC?

Which version of SM in the other PC?

N7IP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2013-11-22, 18:40:33 »
I reinstalled SM without uninstalling it beforehand. Plugged the RRC into the PC and ran the info program. Log is attached. Same behavior as previously.

To answer your question, SM was not installed on the other machine. Windows simply started looking online for the correct device driver. The problem PC, where RRC has worked for years, does not recognize that there is a new device plugged in and does nothing.

N7IP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2013-11-22, 18:59:24 »
A follow-on to my previous msg. Attached is a screen shot of the dev mgr after a reboot. Note the multiple instances and com ports created that are unrelated to RRC.

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2013-11-23, 07:10:07 »
OK, well if Windows simply does nothing when you plug in the RRC(no COM ports/unknown devices appear, no HID device is added and the RRC and the USB cable used work on another PC), which both the Info program's log file and Device Manager confirm, then it has nothing do with SM and/or its drivers. That is because even a PC without SM installed should act like the other one does when plugging in the RRC, i.e it should start looking for COM port drivers and also add a new HID device(since no driver is needed for that).

N7IP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2013-11-25, 17:50:56 »
Jan, thanks for your help. The problem was indeed a corrupted USB driver and a bug in the BIOS of my PC. I apologize for taking up your time, but you did get me back on the air. Thanks!!

Bob

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2013-11-25, 18:16:52 »
 ;D