Author Topic: Drop Outs - Red Led comes on  (Read 5931 times)

G0IDA

• View Profile
    • Email
Drop Outs - Red Led comes on
« on: 2010-04-21, 15:39:43 »
Dear Everyone,

I'm hoping you can help me.
I'm getting what I call "Drop outs" that is to say I am connected to the remote station and every so often (can be every 5 mins) I get no audio and CMD control and the red LED comes on. The red LED lasts for about 20-30sec and then everything works fine.

I am presuming it is an internet connection problem?
I have done a "traceroute" and have 15 hops on average to the remote station and total latency of 90ms.
Can it be that the time out timer for the expected packet needs altering?

Is there a way I can diagnose my problem and adjust a parameter in the RRC-1258 MKII ?

I have a full HF station working 100km away and at the moment I am very impressed with the results of the whole setup apart from this "Drop out" which I am getting.

73's

Berni
G0IDA

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Drop Outs - Red Led comes on
« Reply #1 on: 2010-04-21, 17:40:29 »
Hi

There is nothing the RRC can do about it. If the RED LED is ON there have already been a 5 sec loss of incomming packets. This is not normal: If you use ADSL those 20 secs is about the time it takes for the ADSL modem to login again after a loss of connection. I think you should first find out in what end you have the problem and then test to replace your equipment and/or contact your ISP.

73 de mike

G0IDA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2010-04-22, 11:05:26 »
Thank you for the reply and the figures to which I can work to. 5sec is a lot of time.

Can you recommend how to do Network testing?
I am reasonably good with Linux tools but perhaps you might be able to say "do X & Y & Z" which will determine the main pints.

Regards,

Berni
G0IDA

es3at

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-04-22, 16:40:40 »
Can you recommend how to do Network testing?

With command traceroute (tracert in Windows) You can see path. And then You try ping every router/host. Then You can see what hop is problematic.

G0IDA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2010-04-24, 12:49:41 »
I've done this already and unfortunately it is not good enough as it only gives one instance. I need software which communicates to the to end-points and constantly monitor each other so that I can see when exactly and for how long it was down.

73's

IDA

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2010-04-24, 19:38:22 »
Hi

Pingplotter http://www.pingplotter.com/ is a freeware that can be used to check the connections.

73 de mike