Author Topic: Configuration Trouble, Suspect Web Server Port Problem  (Read 6646 times)

VA6OK

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello,

I am trying to get my RRCs up and running remotely.  I am using a Kenwood TS-480 and have had it working great on my LAN.  Now that I have moved the units apart, I am having trouble.  I am fairly sure that the trouble is at the radio end.  I have a wireless provider that provides me with a Dynamic IP.  They will not let me forward port 80 (they have it blocked for security reasons).  As an alternative, I had them open up port xxxx (they suggested this number as an alternate) as TCP.  I intended to use this port as a replacement for port 80.  I changed the web server port in the Microbit setup manager in the radio RRC.  When I look at my DDNS status I can see my external IP address, but I can not connect to the RRC with the browser.  The only way that I can connect to the RRC with a browser is to change the Web Server Port back to 80 with Microbit setup manager and then log on through my LAN.  Are there bad ports to choose in a router for the Web Server Port?  Do I need to do anything other that change the one box in Microbit (when I change it there it also changes it on the browser advanced settings screen)?

Here are a few facts about my setup:

My control RRC will not connect to my Radio RRC

I am assuming that I leave alone the Web Server Port at the control end (still set to Port 80)

In the Microbit Setup Manager there is a check box under the Settings tab for DHCP.  I have this unchecked.  I am assuming that this is from the perspective of my LAN.  If I check this box my RRC local IP address changes and my Port Forwarding gets messed up.  In the Setup screen it shows the IP as my Local IP for the radio RRC, then it shows my gateway and dns server ips as they are.

When I log on to the RRC with my browser (after changing Web Server Port temporarily back to 80) it shows that the DNS is working.

I am using WiFi to connect my radio RRC to my wireless internet gateway.

When I try to connect by turning the power on at the control site I get 3 tones (sound like no service tone on a cell phone)

When I do a port forward test it shows port xxxx (replacement for Port 80) is open.

When I try to connect from the control site, I get a SIP error.

Neither of the routers at either site have options for turning off SIP ALG.

When I view the status on my browser at the control site it shows the DNS connection is OK and it shows the Hostname and IP address of the radio site.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Dale
« Last Edit: 2014-01-22, 06:13:28 by VE6DAP »

VA6OK

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Configuration Trouble, Suspect Web Server Port Problem
« Reply #1 on: 2014-01-23, 03:21:13 »
I messed up!!!   It works now.  The problem that I had is that I mistakenly had assigned an IP address to the radio RRC that was inside the dynamic range of the gateway.  I managed to finally get the access password for my internet gateway from my ISP and I was able to assign the RRC a static port on my LAN (which I thought I had already).  For anyone who was wondering from my first post, yes you can use a port other than 80, but you then can't access the setup through your browser.  My ISP said that they block port 80, but I used it for my Web Server Port and it seems to be working fine.  I enjoyed playing with the remote setup today, and I even used it mobile with the aid of my iPhone (not too bad of latency on 3G).  Well, enough rambling, I've got a remote radio to play with.

Dale

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2014-01-23, 08:22:39 »
Great that it works now! But what do you mean with:
For anyone who was wondering from my first post, yes you can use a port other than 80, but you then can't access the setup through your browser.
? There is no 'general rule' which says other ports than 80 can't be used for the internal web page, in fact I suspect most ppl do that  ;)
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

VA6OK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2014-01-24, 05:33:59 »
Hello Jan,

I'm not sure why but whenever I set my Web Server Port to a port other than 80, lets say 8000 for example, I cannot access the setup page via my browser on my LAN.  It keeps saying "page not found"  When I tried changing the port, I set it in the Microbit Setup Manager and I forwarded the same port in my internet gateway.  The unit worked fine, but I could not access the setup page.  When I put the port back to 80, I can access the setup page without any issues. 

Also, maybe this is part of the same problem, but I cannot access the setup page from outside of my LAN.  I can see my ddns status, but I cannot get to my Hostname.ddns.remoterig.com page.  It also says "page not found". 

Dale

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2014-01-24, 06:06:33 »
This might be pointing out the obvious, but do you add :XXXX to the URL when trying to access the web page using some other port than 80? For ex. if the LAN IP is 192.168.1.10 and the port is 8000 then you access it by entering the address/URL http://192.168.1.10:8000  ;)
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

VA6OK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2014-01-25, 22:04:47 »
Jan,

You are right!  In my haste to get things working I forgot to add the :XXXX to the end of the URL.
All seems to be great here. 

Thanks!!!!!!!

Dale