Author Topic: N1MM plus Rotor Control  (Read 6211 times)

w1ajt

• View Profile
    • Email
N1MM plus Rotor Control
« on: 2014-11-26, 18:36:03 »
Hello,

I am a new user and have CW/Phone working great - amazing.

Am I correct in assuming that if I want to use a PC logging program like N1MM at my control site I can do so simultaneously with rotor control since they both use COM1 at the control site but COM1 at the remote site would just be attached to the rotor control box with a null-modem cable?  If not, is there a way I can achieve this without purchasing an additional RC-1216H (will use one already for ACOM-2000)?

Thanks,
Art - VE3UTT / W1AJT

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: N1MM plus Rotor Control
« Reply #1 on: 2014-11-26, 19:59:28 »
Art,

It depends upon which rig you are using. Most use COM2 for either CAT, or for communication between
"twins", leaving COM1 free for rotors, etc. The "twins" use COM2 to sync between them, so COM1 must
be used for CAT.

So if you say what you are using, we can give you a qualified answer.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

w1ajt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2014-11-26, 20:34:35 »
Hello Guru Mitch! 

I am using the standard 1258 twin with 2 K3/100s.

Many thanks,
Art - VE3UTT/W1AJT

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2014-11-26, 20:47:17 »
Hi Art,

Guru? That's a new one  ;)

In your case, you would need to use COM1 for CAT, because the K3's use COM2 to sync each other. You would
need to change COM1 to mode-7 on both sides and you are in business.

The down side is of course that COM1 is not available for any other purpose.

My tip: there are alternatives to the 1216's; I personally use standard serial servers, such as from Lantronix. They
also have the advantage that they are "agnostic", so you can use it for any serial device (rotor, amplifier, power meter,
etc.) So it will not be a "pretty" solution like the 1216, but is functional.

They are not cheap, but are more inexpensive than a 1216 and are very reliable (I buy them over Ebay). There are cheap
serial servers from China & Co, but keep in mind that the redirectors will need to be supported for the years you have
this in use across new operating systems and computer types. However, I know some that are pleased with cheaper
imports.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

w1ajt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2014-11-26, 21:11:19 »
Thanks a bunch Mitch.  Another quick question if COM1 is set to Mode 7 on the remote end and the COM1 and has the null modem cable attached to the rotor controller can I unplug  Cat at the control site and address the rotor controller then reconnect CAT at least temporarily?

Thanks for the hints about Lantronix, I will look into it; yes two RC 1216s get a bit expensive.

Thanks,
Art

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2014-11-26, 23:29:01 »
Hi Art,

I am not sure if I understand your question, but I will try.

You can use the CAT on COM1 or either side for different things without a problem. One side can be disconnected,
you must not use the CAT on COM1 if you don't want to. A common use is using the COM1 on the radio side to sync
another device, such as a SteppIR or amplifier. Then use COM1 on the control side (with USB as an option) to run your
logging program.

The only caveat here is that both COM1's will have to be at the same baud rate, however they do not have to be the same
baud rate as COM2.

I hope I answered your question.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

w1ajt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2014-11-27, 14:24:32 »
Again, many thanks Mitch you fully answered my question.  I will experiment next weekend since CQWW is this weekend.

Thanks for your continuous help to the group.

Art - VE3UTT/W1AJT