Author Topic: Com Ports  (Read 8444 times)

W1AN

• View Profile
Com Ports
« on: 2015-01-21, 22:39:35 »
I'm confused about how the COM ports are defined. Digging through all the forum pages and docs only confuses me more.

I see COM0, COM1, COM2, COM3 mentioned in the docs and forum.

There is also a TTL to TTL pass thru for TS480, etc. Is this COM0 or something else? Can this port be redirected to COM1 or COM2? or from COM1, COM2, etc

Are COM1 and COM2 direct pass through ports? With software redirection in the setup?

Is COM0 an internal pass thru port with redirection from COM1 COM2 and TTL USB-COM?

Where is COM3? Is this port a virtual port from the USB on the RRC-C to RRC-R I/O and COM2?

In my K3 Twin setup is the TTL port available for a pass thru? Is the baud rate fixed or open?

A functional diagram would be helpful.
73, John W1AN

N4RA

• View Profile
Re: Com Ports
« Reply #1 on: 2015-01-22, 00:19:50 »
I'd be interested also.  I just slugged through the basic radio stuff and I'm now trying to get the rest of the station remoted.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-01-22, 07:34:42 »
I will do my best to explain it:

COM0: This uses a proprietary protocol to communicate between the control panel and the radio body. It is
extended over the internet by the RRC's, but can not otherwise be used for anything (for all rigs except Icom)

COM1 & 2: These are extended over the internet using a true serial server. COM2 is generally used to carry the CAT
signal between the rig and remote location, except in the case of a Twin configuration, i.e. K3, Yaesu, etc. In this
case, COM2 is used to tie the two locations together and you must use use COM1 for CAT if needed (mode-6 or 7).
If you are not using either COM port otherwise, then you can use it for serial control for rotors, etc.

COM3: This is used for special use of either FSK signal generation or Winkeyer emulation, user switchable (also
on the fly).

I hope this helps.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

W1AN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-01-22, 18:41:18 »
Mitch that does help. In addition is the TTL-TTL another pass thru port? And is it free to use, possibly at a fixed baud rate if not needed otherwise? TTL to RS232 converters would be needed of course, but these items are inexpensive on-line. I just need to drop the TTL 8V to 5V with a resistor and 5V zener. Good for rotor control, etc.

Also is the FSK keying generated off the TTL side of the USB chip inside the control unit? Just wondering about latency. It's great that you have the 5 Bit, 45.5 baud working off usb but is this another TTL pass thru to the RRC-Radio unit to I/O?

The K3 and other radios can take CW and PTT off DTR and RTS eliminating the need for a second PC serial connection and, as you know, software for FSK RTTY can be generated from another serial COM port from TxD and RTS. I will most likely stick with the standard USB approach. I'm just looking at options for an additional communication path and trying to get a better understanding of how all this fits together.

73, John W1AN

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2015-01-22, 22:41:46 »
Hi John,

By TTL-TTL you mean COM0? As far as I know, there is no way for you to use that yourself. Maybe I am
wrong and the Microbit guys with correct me, but I believe that is the case.

I am not sure on the details on how FSK is generated, Mike or someone should answer that. I believe all the
USB chip is pass this on as a serial link and the "work" is done elsewhere. There is no latency to worry about
from what I have seen so far. The RRC actually uses its own protocol for CW and FSK to talk to the radio RRC,
which in turn keys the radio for FSK or CW. No actual tones are transmitted over the internet.

I am not sure of the deep technical details, so again Mike should add these details.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2015-01-23, 08:15:42 »
Yes com0 and TTL is the same serial channel and it's in most cases dedicated for the primary radio control just as Mitch says. And in some cases the com0 and com2 are connectied in parallell just to get the correct physical Interface with RS-232/D-sub that means that it some setups two serial channels are "occupied" by the radio control. As the RRCs are primary designed for Radio control we have not focused on using only one channel for the radio control. I suggest using external serial port servers if more serial ports are needed or our web based products 1216H, RC-1216 etc which do not need any serialports over the internet.

73 de mike

W1AN

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-01-23, 21:53:37 »
OK, that is what I needed Mike and Mitch. All the pieces about ports are starting to make sense. Digging in a little deeper and I may figure out how CW and FSK keying talk. It's a mystery until then.

I've several 4 port serial servers. With the Microbit provided virtual serial over ethernet driver they work well on Win 7. Thank you!

73, John, W1AN

wb4gcs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2015-05-03, 05:24:48 »
I have a similar question.
I am controlling a IC-706 MKIIG with RemoteRig; works great!
Have successfully used COM2 with Icom CT-17 to operate the radio CAT via the CI-V protocol.

Replaced the CT-17 with a RPC-I17 serial to CI-V cable.  Unlike the CT-17, it has no external power input; I assume it is getting power from DTR, CTS, etc.  It does NOT work.  Asserting RTS and DTR in the radio control software (which worked with CT-117) has no effect.

Questions:

Does COM2 pass through RTS and DTR?  Reading between the lines in the documentation suggests maybe not, since COM1 has settings for RTS/DTR and COM2 apparently does not.  Is this my problem?  If RTS and DTR do NOT pass to COM2, is there any reason (other than gender of the connectors) that I couldn't use COM1??

Some Icom folks have cited that many "RS232" ports on newer laptops do not go +/-12V per the standard, but only 0/+5.  What does RemoteRig do?  I always assumed it to be "true" RS-232.

Any other thoughts?
Thanks,
Jim
wb4gcs@amsat.org

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2015-05-03, 10:25:52 »
As you can see in the manual only pin 2,3 and 5 are used in RRC com2 so only CI-V converters which has separate power supply like CT-17 will work.

/mike

wb4gcs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2015-05-03, 14:21:39 »
Mike:

Thanks.  This was not clear to me in the manual, but is now.

Are RTS/DTR passed through on COMM1?  If so, is there any reason I should not use COMM1 for the IC-706 CAT?

As far as I can tell, the radio/control head only use COMM0, is that correct?

Thanks,
Jim

wb4gcs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2015-05-03, 17:35:23 »
Figured out that RTS is passed through on COMM1.
STill doesn't work.

Using my RS-232 display device, looks like my Icom device needs more power than the RRC provides.  Unfortunate, but realities of "RS-232", which never really was "standard".

Time to try something else.

Jim