Author Topic: Control Green Heron Controller via 1258 mk II How to configure?  (Read 4116 times)

WO7R

• View Profile
I really can't make head nor tails of how this is supposed to work.  I understand generically what is supposed to happen.  I hook up the RS232 from the RR to the device on the Radio (remote shack) side and on the Control side it would be made "visible" as a COMM port for the regular Green Heron software to use on the "control" (home) PC.

But I don't have the faintest idea how to actually do the setup.  Can anyone explain how it works?  The manual just loses me on this one.

I also need to set up my Alpha 9500 -- same problem.

Currently, I operate these with a PC at the shack (using Tight VNC), but if I could solve this problem, I could have a "no PC" solution at the shack. 

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
The RRC provides two serial servers. In most cases, COM2 is blocked either for communication between
rigs in a "Twin" configuration, or for CAT in most other configurations. This leaves only COM1 for serial
communication in most setups, or both if not using CAT or a Twin setup.

You just set it in the required mode, such as mode-3 and the correct baud rate. This must be done
on both RRC's. Then use either a standard serial cable, or the internal USB converter. To use USB,
you need to first install Microbit Setup Manager for the drivers, then use the port in Windows in which the
RRC port was assigned. To use USB, you must also change " use USB com port as COM1 (or COM2)"
to YES.

If You need more than the ports available, you can either buy a standard serial server, such as from Lantronix, or
you can buy a specialty server, such as one from Microbit http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=1010#tabs-3

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

WO7R

• View Profile
Both ports should be available as I will not be doing CAT via remoterig and I haven't configured either port.  Or, at least I don't think I have.

The thing is, you've glossed over the very problem I have.  How do I know I need "mode 3" or whatever it is supposed to be?  How do I know what to do?  How do I know what my device needs?

I know the obvious stuff like that baud rate and so on, that's easy.  What I don't know is what else to pick and why.  And if it doesn't work, what should I try next and why.

Right now, on the Control side, COM2 says "mode 1, byte-by-byte avoid this" and COM1 says "inactive".  Same thing on the radio side.  I don't remember setting either one.  I assume the byte-by-byte is the highest for LAN traffic, but other than that, I have no idea why I should or should not pick it.  Nothing, in any event, is currently hooked up.  No idea what it is generating for LAN traffic.

I don't have the setting to use the USB port either and I have no idea what COM3 is or what it might be for, other than it doesn't correspond (I presume) to a physical connection or at least a regular RS232 connection.

I have no "twin" configuration to worry about, either.  This is really a simplified use of remoterig on the whole.  I won't be using it for RTTY at all, mostly for CW and microphone IN and audio BACK.  That's all I need on the rig side, but I would also like to control the two peripherals and, superficially it seems, I should be able to do both.  I just don't understand the key details.

I don't need CAT because of how the Flex 6000 series software works (or will eventually work).  Today, I handle CAT and RTTY on the shack/radio side PC.  Tomorrow (almost literally tomorrow) that will also be remotable to home/control and so I won't need remoterig to handle those either way.  Just CW and voice.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-05, 00:26:56 by WO7R »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Part of amateur radio to me is playing around and experimenting. It is really no problem to just try out
various settings to see which works best for you. Nothing will break. I would start with mode-3 and go
from there. You need to activate the ports and then change to mode-3 and set the baud rate. It really
is no more than that.

I am sorry if I gave you too much background information on ports that can be used. I did that because
other people read these posts and may learn from them as well if all information is provided. It was not
to confuse you.

I already explained how to use the virtual USB ports in my last posting. Just install the Setup Manager,
change the port settings to use USB on the control RRC and look at the Windows Device Manager to
find out which port Windows assigned to them.

Ignore COM0 and COMEXTRA (COM3), you can not use them for your purposes.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX