Author Topic: Random Keying of the K3  (Read 4422 times)

K1UO - Larry

• View Profile
    • Email
Random Keying of the K3
« on: 2015-02-11, 00:02:51 »
I am using a K3/0 (not mini) and a K3/100 for remoteing.....Has anyone experienced random keying up of the K3 for very short duration... sort of like what you would get by intentionally hitting the dit side of the keyer at 30 wpm..   This started happening just a day or so ago while we have been trying settings to get RTTY working (NO success there either)   I can sometimes trigger the xmit  by fast tuning the K3/) control unit.   I would love to have someone send their RRC settings (html) so I can see if maybe something is wrong in my particular settings that may be causing this.
 Also:  I installed an FTDI serial to USB cable on the control unit com#1 (comes up as port16) and tried using that port for the Logger but the logging program doesn't recognize it at all so I still need to use the mini usb port Com1 (virtual port 4) for DX Labs Logger control.  (question.. if I use the Com 1 rs232 on the RRC Control can I also use the mini usb Com 1?)

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Random Keying of the K3
« Reply #1 on: 2015-02-11, 00:10:54 »
I can't answer your question on the dits, although it looks to me to be an intermittent cable and most
likely nothing in the settings.

As for COM1, you need to take into account that the COM1 pinout is "backwards" from COM2. Look at
the manual for details. A null-modem should work.

I am not sure why you are using a serial to USB converter. If you have the USB cable plugged into your RRC,
just use the virtual serial port under Windows (turn COM1's USB support on in the settings). If you want to
use a serial cable (the converter) instead, then turn USB support off and make sure you have a null-modem
adapter.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K1UO - Larry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-02-11, 00:46:24 »
Aha..2 items: Forgot to turn Com 1 USB support off and forgot the Null modem serial cable.  The real reason I wanted to try the serial connection was to stop the periodic radio connection dropouts when using the mini usb and virtual com port connection.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-02-11, 09:25:52 »
I agree, the intermitent keying must be a cable issue.

Com1 and Com 2 pinout are the same on Control RRC, but not on the Radio-RRC

You have to select at the serial port settings page if you want to use RS-232 or USB for each comport.

73 de mike

sm0mdg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-02-14, 16:47:57 »
This happens to me when I turn on power and the RRC and radio is cold. After a few minutes the random keying is gone.

I have never been able to find the source of the problem, but I suspect there are some components in the RRC or K3 that does not like cold temps.

I have never noticed this using the K3 on site. Even if cold it works OK.

73 de Björn
SM0MDG
SE0X

W1AN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-02-27, 21:16:47 »
On my unit I replaced the PTT jumper on the configuration header with 2 diodes in series to prevent PTT when the RRC-R is not powered and the K3 is operated locally. This may help.
73, John W1AN