Author Topic: WinKey with virtual serial ports and logging software  (Read 3841 times)

N5CQ

• View Profile
    • Email
I am slowly getting my K3/0 to K3 remote rig setup working with my LOGic9 logging software, after solving some big antenna and rotor problems first.

My current challenge is getting the WinKey function in the RRC1258 and LOGic to talk talk to each other.

When I hook up the USB port on the front of the RRC unit to the logging PC (Windows 8.1) , I see four virtual comm ports: "RRC1258 COM0 (COM3)" ; "RRC1258 COM1 (COM5)" ; "RRC1258 COM2 (COM6)" ; and "RRCCOMExtra (COM4)" in addition to the regular RS-232 serial port COM1 that I use for CAT control.

When I go into Winkey setup in LOGic, I see the 'normal' COM1, plus COM 3,4, 5 and 6. 

Trying COM1 as the WinKey port produces a "COM Port Error" message.  Trying COM3, 4, 5 and 6 produces the message "WinKey not FOUND (no echo)".  However, when I go from trying COM4 to trying COM5 the rig keys for approximately one second!

I have tried using device manager to set the virtual comm ports to 1200N2, as the "Com Port Usage" screen in LOGic suggests, but it seems to make no difference.

What should I try next?

73 John N5CQ

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: WinKey with virtual serial ports and logging software
« Reply #1 on: 2015-02-22, 00:02:31 »
John,

You need to tell LOGic to use COM4 as the Winkeyer port, since that is the virtual COM port that
Windows assigned to COMEXTRA. Make sure that in the RRC under serial settings, that COM3
(which is another name for COMEXTRA) is set to Winkeyer and not FSK, which may be your
problem.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX