Author Topic: Serial Setting COM1 RTS/CTS  (Read 4769 times)

K3TN

• View Profile
Serial Setting COM1 RTS/CTS
« on: 2015-02-25, 13:58:39 »
To debug some of the problems I'm having with N1MM software over RemoteRig, I did a setting by setting comparison between the settings W1UE uses and graciously sent to me, and how I have the two RRCs configured.

For some reason, I had COM1 RTS/CTS set to Yes and Dennis had it at the default NO setting. I changed that setting to NO, and with limited testing my problems seem to have disappeared.

The manual says that setting "enables transfer of CTS input to the RTS output of other RRC" but nothing says why you ever want to, or not want to, do that.

Is there some mode where I would need that capability? I'm thinking I turned it on when I got FSK RTTY working - would I need it there.

73, John K3TN

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Serial Setting COM1 RTS/CTS
« Reply #1 on: 2015-02-25, 16:19:31 »
For some reason, I had COM1 RTS/CTS set to Yes and Dennis had it at the default NO setting. I changed that setting to NO, and with limited testing my problems seem to have disappeared.
73, John K3TN
Would you be so kind and remind me which problems disappeared? There have been a number of problems, in different threads, by different people so I think I have lost track of them  ;)
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

K3TN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-02-25, 18:44:37 »
Three major problems, two I brought up here and one I brought up on the N1MM+ group because it was an N1MM+ error dump:

1. The  Radio RRC hasn't crashed since I made that change but the contest is also over and the Radio RRC is not getting hit as hard.
2. The problems with N1MM Classic ignoring Fkeys unless I hit the paddle or ESC has stopped - that appears directly related.
3. N1MM+ on startup had been giving me an error dump related to COM Port 5, which mapped to RRC COMPORT3/Extra and used for Winkey. That stopped, too. Doesn't seem like it should be related but it went away the first time I tried N1MM+ after I made that change.

It may be like thinking sacrificing a goat caused rain to fall and break the drought, but I'm will to believe sacrificing whatever COM1 RTS/CTS is for cleared up at least one of the above...

K3TN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-02-26, 16:18:52 »
Some additional information from the N1MM+ developers: the error message I got related to COM PORT  was due to a large amount of characters being returned to N1MM+ from WinKey. N1MM+ has a 500 character buffer that was being overrun, they say a Winkey message is never over 100 characters.

This error message would occur when N1MM+ first started up. Turning COM0 RST/CTS to OFF seems to have stopped the problem.

What function/use case would I need to have COM0 RTS/CTS ON?

Thanks, John K3TN