Author Topic: No Mic output to rig  (Read 5976 times)

k2ue

• View Profile
    • Email
No Mic output to rig
« on: 2015-04-09, 21:40:47 »
I have a new pair of 1258's with 2.85 firmware, and everything works EXCEPT no Mic audio output at the Radio.  There is bias on the Mic at the Controller end, so that is working; the Mic works plugged into the Radio, so it is OK.  On the Radio end I can trace the Mic input and ground all the way to the transformer on the 1258.  Is there a troubleshooting sequence I should be following to resolve this?
Clyde, K2UE
Clyde Washburn, K2UE

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: No Mic output to rig
« Reply #1 on: 2015-04-09, 21:42:04 »
Clyde,

What kind of radio is it?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

k2ue

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-04-09, 22:47:50 »
It is an Anan 200D.  I have tried both the Transparent and Kenwood modes.  The remote input is to the Line input on the rear accessory connector.  I have driven that input with an audio osc. and it is OK.  Are the default level settings for a low-level mic input, and if so what are the settings to drive a line input?
Clyde Washburn, K2UE

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-04-09, 23:07:35 »
Hi

The mic out level is designed to be equal to normal dynamicmicrophones, There are no settings where you can increase it so much as you need for line input. Hardware modifications are needed then. Is there no normal micinput in that radio ?

73 de mike

k2ue

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2015-04-10, 04:37:52 »
I have done this before with the same hardware -- it is possible.  There is also no output using the Mic input instead of line.  I need to find where the problem is.
Clyde Washburn, K2UE

k2ue

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2015-04-10, 12:56:04 »
Let me recap:
Rx Audio works.
PTT works.
The Tx line input at the Radio works.
There is no evidence of any audio (not just weak audio) at the Radio 1258MkII(s) output.
Mic Bias is present at the Control unit.
The Mic being used works correctly plugged into the radio.

What is the audio path inside the Radio 1258 from incoming stream to Mic out?
Clyde Washburn, K2UE

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2015-04-10, 13:10:10 »
As the mic output is a tranformer with no GND reference the MIC GND must be connected to GND if you do not have a balanced input. Check that you have conencted the red wires correct and that they are not broken. You will not see any output from the mic output if the MIC GND is open.

The audio to the transormer comes from a the Codec via a few OP-Amps.

What kind of mic are you using. Most mics are powered by the 8V on the mic wire itself (phantom) but there are mics which need power on a separat pin, some odd ICOM and Yaesu mics for example.

73 de mie

k2ue

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2015-04-10, 13:49:56 »
As the mic output is a tranformer with no GND reference the MIC GND must be connected to GND if you do not have a balanced input. Check that you have conencted the red wires correct and that they are not broken. You will not see any output from the mic output if the MIC GND is open.

The audio to the transormer comes from a the Codec via a few OP-Amps.

What kind of mic are you using. Most mics are powered by the 8V on the mic wire itself (phantom) but there are mics which need power on a separat pin, some odd ICOM and Yaesu mics for example.

73 de mie

That was it!  The yellow Heil RJ-45 adapter I am using for the Mic/Key input grounds the Ring, but Ring is connected to Tip in the Mic -- a Stereo to Mono Adapter ahead of the Heil adapter fixed it.  Thanks for the tip.
Clyde, K2UE
Clyde Washburn, K2UE