Author Topic: Passing DTR/RTS through the radio RemoteRig  (Read 3481 times)

WW1X

• View Profile
Passing DTR/RTS through the radio RemoteRig
« on: 2015-04-30, 18:25:58 »
I am using the Elecraft K3 in twin mode. At the radio site, I have the following setup:
  • Radio PC -> COM1 of RRC
  • COM2 of RRC -> Elecraft K3
From the Radio PC, I can use CAT commands to control the transceiver. Great.

The Elecraft K3 supports PTT and keying via the DTR and RTS lines on its RS-232 port. What I would like to do is set the DTR/RTS lines from the Radio PC and have them be passed through to the K3.

Effectively, the goal is to do keying and PTT entirely from software on the Radio PC without any involvement of the RRC's internal keyer. Currently, it appears these signals are being hijacked by the RemoteRig, and they are not getting through.

Please note that I am not referring to the control RRC. I know I can use the PTT and keying lines there, and that works great. I am referring to the radio side of the pair only.

Thanks,

Rockwell WW1X

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Passing DTR/RTS through the radio RemoteRig
« Reply #1 on: 2015-05-01, 16:56:38 »
Com1 has one control signal in each direction. Com2 do not have any control signals, so it's not possible to activate a control signal at com1 and have it transferred to com2 and to the K3. But there are so many different ways of using the RRC for transferring  PTT and CW so i can't find any reason not to use one them.

73 de mike

WW1X

• View Profile
Re: Passing DTR/RTS through the radio RemoteRig
« Reply #2 on: 2015-05-01, 18:11:44 »
Thank you for confirming my suspicious, Mike. Suffice to say we have a unique setup and I need to control PTT and keying from the radio PC using the radio RRC without any intervention of the control RRC.

What other options do I have to accomplish that? I'm trying to avoid creating a special cable or interface circuit.