Author Topic: RRC-1258 with Windows 10 & Ham Radio Deluxe 6.3  (Read 19188 times)

DL9DAK|N9DAK

• View Profile
RRC-1258 with Windows 10 & Ham Radio Deluxe 6.3
« on: 2015-08-15, 19:07:51 »
Hello, I upgrade my PC from Win 7 to Win 10 and also update HRD to the latest version 6.3. I am using  K3 mini connected to the 1258 for the RHR service. The 1258 is connected to the PC via USB.

The first problem is that I can not see the virtual COM ports of the RRC 1258 in HRD settings any more - for example for setting up CW RTS keying of RTTY FSK. But in the device control I see the 4 COMs of the 1258 and also the 2 COMs of the K3 mini. But in the USB port selection of HRD CW/RTTY setting some ports will be offered for the selection - like the K3 mini ports - but not the ports of the 1258. I try updateing the drivers but without any positiv result.

The second problem is as follow: After starting HRD and connect to the K3 mini with the COM port for CAT the connection will be established and the frequency will be read out once and shown in the radio panel of HRD. But if I tune on the K3 mini to another frequency the QRG on the HRD radio panel will not follow. But if I change the frequency in the radio panel of HRD the frequency at the remote station and K3 mini will be changed. But before updating to Windows 10 and HRD 6.3 the frequency readout works.

So I want to ask if anyone has the same problems. I do not know if the problem will be Windows 10, or may be the 1258 drivers. may be there is a issue with the driver compatibiliy to Windows 10? Another possibility will be that the HRD 6.3 version has a problem with Windows 10.

Regards
Peter

DL9DAK|N9DAK

• View Profile
Re: RRC-1258 with Windows 10 & Ham Radio Deluxe 6.3
« Reply #1 on: 2015-08-15, 20:10:24 »
I checked the COM ports with FLdigi and there I can select all the RRC1258 COM Ports. So may be this is an issue of HRD and not of RRC1258 hardware or drivers. So any confirmation of the issue form anyone ...

Regards
Peter

ND1Y

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-08-21, 23:00:24 »
Hi Peter,

I do have the same problem as your second one here. I have my PC connected to my local 1258 via USB, which is installed DX Lab instead of HRD. After upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10, the frequency is not shown in the panel of DX Lab or DX Lab does not follow the change of my K3 Mini. Strange enough, however, DX Lab can change the frequency of my K3 mini.

73!

Sam ND1Y/JL1CNY 

DL9DAK|N9DAK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-08-22, 14:34:04 »
Hi Sam,

so we both have the same problem. It is good to know, what this seems to be undependend of the application used for CAT controlling. I think it should be a COM port driver problem with Windows 10.  So Microbit/Remoterig should check the Windows 10 compilance of the virt USB driver ... - is there a special support email or do the Remote Rig crew also track the forum?

Peter

ND1Y

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2015-08-23, 00:31:06 »
Peter,

I was about to send an email to DX Lab Forum to ask for the solution of this problem. Given that you have the same problem as mine, I am inclined to think that it should be a driver problem of virtual COM software. I am expecting that Microbit Setup Manager will be upgraded to include a fixed driver for Windows 10 soon.

73!

Sam ND1Y/JL1CNY

roland

« Reply #5 on: 2015-08-23, 00:36:09 »
Yes. We are working on that

DL9DAK|N9DAK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-08-23, 12:09:24 »
Hallo,

that's great to hear. So thanks in  advance to the Microbit crew!

Peter

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2015-08-24, 12:00:52 »
It got a little confused here ;)

The USB Com ports in the RRC do not use drivers provided by us at Microbit. They use a driver from Microsoft which is included in Windows. What we at Microbit do are just to include the required "INF files" which are used to tell Windows that we want it to use its USB Com port driver for the RRC. Without them the ports would be "unknown" by Windows.

Also, in the RRC we provide support in its firmware for those Com ports so that Windows is able to communicate with them and present them as ordinary COMx ports.

So we are not able to do something about the driver as it's Microsoft's driver. What we could do is change the INF file and/or the RRC's firmware. The problem is that we do not know what is causing the behaviour you are seeing and we are - so far - not able to reproduce it either.

For a HRD noob like me, where do I find the "USB port selection of HRD CW/RTTY setting"?

Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

W1UE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2015-08-24, 16:56:41 »
Peter
Your problem sounds like it may be a Virtual Comport Manager (VCM) Problem.  I have found- through experience- that more than one VCM on your computer may cause you problems.  For example, the Virtual Comports created by VSP Manager, and those created by Microbit Setup Manager, may not coexist on the same computer without problems.  The Microham Virtual Comport Managers may not coexist with other VCMs.  Notice, I say, may- sometimes ops may have them on the same computer with no problems, other times they won't work from day 1.  I've even seen it where problems don't exist today, but a week from now they do.  In its installation instructions, VSP Manager tells you to remove all other Virtual Comport Managers off your system before you install it.  The one way communication you describe with the radio leads me to believe that you may a conflict with VCMs.

My suggestion is to look at your system in Device Manager, and see if you have multiple VCM.  If you do, do you need all of them?  In particular, I'm not sure why you leave your K3Mini connected to USB all the time- I've found no need to do so with mine.  I do use the Microbit USB cable and do radio control through Com2 of it, and use ComExtra for the Winkey in the RRC, so I don't leave my K3Mini connected to USB (and the comports are never created for it). 

It also sounds like you updated from Winxx to Win10, then tried your apps.  I'd also suggest you uninstall, then reinstall the Microbit Setup Manager if you haven't already done so; there may have been a glitch that prevented Win10 from realizing that those comports.  I would also do it in this order: disconnect the Microbit USB cable, reboot the computer, uninstall Microbit Setup Manager, reboot, then reinstall Microbit Setup Manager.

I'm not a computer professional, but have just been stung too many times by VCM programs that can't work together.  Any one of them will work fine, but when you put a second one on the computer the chances there will be problems goes way up.   

Dennis W1UE

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2015-08-24, 17:02:38 »
What we have seen is that some installation programs creates overlapping COM ports, and that is always a problem. If that happens you better renumber them so that they do not overlap.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2015-08-25, 00:02:33 »
Note this old thread:
http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=877.msg4032#msg4032

It usually solves the problems. I also have a program I can mail someone on request that removes
all USB drivers. It really solves all problems, but can be dangerous.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

DL9DAK|N9DAK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2015-09-05, 19:46:44 »

The USB Com ports in the RRC do not use drivers provided by us at Microbit. They use a driver from Microsoft which is included in Windows. What we at Microbit do are just to include the required "INF files" which are used to tell Windows that we want it to use its USB Com port driver for the RRC. Without them the ports would be "unknown" by Windows.

Also, in the RRC we provide support in its firmware for those Com ports so that Windows is able to communicate with them and present them as ordinary COMx ports.

Hello, so I installed the setup manager WITH the drivers offered in the installation dialog. Tomorrow I will deinstall the setup manager with drivers, disconnect RRC1258 and after restart connect the RRC1258 and hopefully the Win drivers will be installed. I do not use the USB ports for controlling the K3 mini so should I also delete this drivers via the device manager? I will use the K3 mini audio codec for receiving audio only.

regards
Peter

DL9DAK|N9DAK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2015-09-06, 16:02:08 »
So one question is how can I get the driver installed via the setup manager out of my operating system without deleting all the USB drivers because this is my office PC and I had a few USB devices connected to this PC. Hard work do reinstall all.

So if I deinstall the setup manager will the USB drivers and the sources for the driver installed for sure? Sometimes if a driver in deleted with the Windows device manager the driver source is still in the operating system and if the device is reconneted this deinstalled driver will be used again by the automatic driver install process of Windows. That is the reason why I am asing this specific question.

Regards
Peter   

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2015-09-06, 16:18:58 »
Peter,

If you follow the link I gave above, it will allow you to delete them selectively.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: 2015-09-07, 08:52:17 »
Hello, so I installed the setup manager WITH the drivers offered in the installation dialog. Tomorrow I will deinstall the setup manager with drivers, disconnect RRC1258 and after restart connect the RRC1258 and hopefully the Win drivers will be installed. I do not use the USB ports for controlling the K3 mini so should I also delete this drivers via the device manager? I will use the K3 mini audio codec for receiving audio only.

regards
Peter
Just to be clear. The installation of the Setup Manager does two different things regarding Com ports:

1/
It installs INF files which will be used when connecting an RRC or Webswitch via USB to create USB serial ports. The driver used is Microsoft's USB to serial driver.

2/
It also installs drivers for software only COM ports used by for ex the Webswitch and/or RRC-Micro. Those drivers are not from Microsoft.