Author Topic: microKEYER II  (Read 7822 times)

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
microKEYER II
« on: 2015-09-07, 13:45:41 »
Do all the features of microKEYER II work via RemoteRig?

I'm considering to buy microKEYER II. I would use it with my TS-480 tcvr and I would use Win-Test as the software.   

I've searched this forum, but I didn't find much written about microKEYER II. I've found several unanswered questions about microKEYER and that makes me a bit hesitant to go ahead and place my order.

73 Marvin VE3VEE

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: microKEYER II
« Reply #1 on: 2015-09-07, 17:46:44 »
Marvin,

What are you trying to do with it exactly? Use it as a sound card interface, for CAT control or as an external Winkeyer?

You can do all three of these with the Microham devices.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-09-07, 18:47:54 »
Mitch,

Thanks for your reply.

I have a functional remote station and the next step is I'd like to set it up for contesting. I have no idea how to set up sending pre-recorded voice messages (e.g. CQ CONTEST...).

My TCVR is TS-480. I could buy the optional Kenwood VGS-1 Voice Module, but I don't think contest software (such as Win-Test) could control the sending of messages recorded by the Kenwood voice module (it would be nice if it could).

A friend of mine suggested microKEYER II, but could I use it with my Control-RRC? The cables for microKEYER II seem to include not just RS-232 connector, but also a connector intended to be plugged tho the DATA port on the back of the TS-480 and another one for the REMOTE port on the back of the TS-480  ( http://www.microham.com/Downloads/DB37-TS-MINI6.pdf ). Where would I plug those? Would microKEYER II work even without those two connectors?

I'm basically searching for a suitable solution of how to send pre-recorded voice messages by Win-Test contest logging software.

73 Marvin VE3VEE
« Last Edit: 2015-09-07, 18:59:18 by VE3VEE »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-09-07, 22:08:25 »
Hi Marvin,

Got you, you basically want to use it in as a sound card interface. In this case, it is irrelevant if it is used
as a voice keyer, or for digital modes.

To use any kind of sound card interface with RemoteRig, just simply plug the microphone output into control
RRC's MIC jack (using the right cable and strapping) and plug the audio input into the control RRC's speaker
jack. Set the levels and you are ready to go.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2015-09-09, 19:52:34 »
Mitch,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I opted to buy the Kenwood VGS-1 voice memory module for my TS-480 instead. I'm hoping there will be a way to figure out how to control it with the keyboard from the Win-Test software. If not, at least I know I will still be able to use it by pressing the Ch1, Ch2 a Ch3 buttons right on the TS-480.

73 Marvin VE3VEE
« Last Edit: 2015-09-09, 19:54:22 by VE3VEE »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2015-09-09, 20:11:06 »
Marvin,

I do not know if the voice module for the TS-480 can be driven by CAT commands and can not a reference to it with
a quick glance at the manuals on my hard drive.

I can give you a good tip: I use an LUA script for Win-Test for using my K3 voice module that was written by Bob, N6TV.
Bob has written a number of scripts which can be downloaded at: http://www.kkn.net/~n6tv/wtscripts/

The Kenwood one does not refer specifically to the TS-480, but I seem to recall that the protocol is very close to the TS-2000,
which is mentioned. I would try out that script to see if it works. If not, then I would e-mail Bob to see if it would be technically
possible to have him support the TS-480 as well.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2015-09-09, 20:25:33 »
Mitch,

Thanks very much for the link. I will give that a try and let you know the result. I just bought the voice module this morning and I plan on a trip to my remote QTH for the Saturday, Sept 19. I will then start experimenting with it. Wish me luck. :)

73 Marvin VE3VEE

W1UE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2015-09-09, 22:13:04 »
Marvin
For single op SSB contesting, my suggestion is to use WinTest locally to generate the voice signal from a sound card and send it over the Internet using the remote rig mic connection.  I do this using N1MM+, and plug my microphone into the same sound card, so that I can record everything locally.  I found it much easier than using my K3mini/K3 combination.  For CW, I use the Remote Rig Winkey emulator for my CW keyer, and connect my paddles to the Remote Rig paddle input.  This way, the log remains at the Control site, and the operation is exactly the same as if you were sitting in front of the real radio.  If you do RTTY Contesting, I demodulate the Rx audio at the Control site via a soundcard, generate my FSK signal via the Remote Rig box, and operate the contest as though I was sitting in front of the radio.

The only time I log remotely is when I'm doing a multi-op entry; then each op must access the remote computer via Teamviewer or the VPN and operate using the logging program keys.  At the remote site is a full SO2R setup, but when operated remotely the only thing that is switched on is the linear.

Dennis W1UE

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2015-09-09, 22:35:53 »
my suggestion is to use WinTest locally to generate the voice signal from a sound card and send it over the Internet using the remote rig mic connection.

Dennis, I was thinking of doing it that way, but I wasn't clear on how WinTest would control my PTT when sending the recorded messages so I opted for a solution which I understood a bit better. But if I don't succeed in getting the Kenwood voice module working with WinTest, I'll be back experimenting...

CW is working now well, at least with N1MM. I haven't tested it with WinTest yet, but I think it should work just the same.

Thanks for the very valuable input from both of you! The last time I was into serious contesting was some 30 years ago when we used paper logs and much of this technology did not exist. I have a lot to learn now. It's fun to be back in the hobby after all these years. :)

73 Marvin VE3VEE

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2015-09-21, 12:05:43 »

I can give you a good tip: I use an LUA script for Win-Test for using my K3 voice module that was written by Bob, N6TV.
Bob has written a number of scripts which can be downloaded at: http://www.kkn.net/~n6tv/wtscripts/

That worked! Thanks Mitch! On Saturday, I went to my remote QTH to install the voice memory module into my TS-480. Immediately I tested the sending of messages from Win-Test using the scripts you suggested. It works! The scripts are indeed compatible with TS-480.

73 Marvin VE3VEE