Author Topic: Data usage rates  (Read 3608 times)

M0BPQ

• View Profile
    • Email
Data usage rates
« on: 2015-09-30, 12:07:01 »
Hi everyone,

I've had a lot of problems with internet at my remote site, so I have bought an expensive fixed IP sim card that charges per MB. RRC over 3G/4G works perfectly, but looking at my data usage it seems that I am eating 900kb an hour when my station is not in use. As I pay 2p (3 US cents?) per MB, I want to reduce this - it costs me 50p (75 US cents) a day for the station to sit idle. Any ideas why this is happening?

I am using a consumer grade Netgear 4 port wifi 3G router (MBR624GU) with a 1216E webswitch and a 1258 RRC attached. Nothing else. DYNDNS is switched off in the router and the RRC. There is no DYNDNS in the webswitch. I am stuck - is there some other background keep alive that I should be looking at?

Thanks es 73, Steve M0BPQ

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Data usage rates
« Reply #1 on: 2015-09-30, 12:54:27 »
Steve,

That is indeed strange and doesn't sound quite right.

Either way, you may look at installing an IP power strip to power down everything you don't need when
you aren't using the system. I like the ones from NetIO, but there are others as well.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

M0BPQ

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Data usage rates
« Reply #2 on: 2015-10-01, 10:28:35 »
Thanks Mitch

I'll put the 1258 on the same psu  as the radio. I use the web switch to control AC power so it will get turned off with the radio.

I imagine the issue is in the router config but I have combed every tab with no luck. I guess I should leave the router running on its own for a day to isolate the source.

I used to use a VPN and lower cost data without a fixed IP, but my provider hasn't been able to sort out some technical issues. Once those are resolved I'll ditch the expensive data!

Cheers
Steve m0bpq