Author Topic: K3/0 to K3 over WLAN versus local LAN  (Read 3422 times)

N5CQ

• View Profile
    • Email
K3/0 to K3 over WLAN versus local LAN
« on: 2015-11-06, 18:40:21 »
I have been using K3/0 and RC1258Mk2 at my home to connect to a  K3 at remote transmitter site for some time and all is well. Both RRC''s have 2.87 firmware.

Today I took the K3/0 and RC1258MK2 units to the transmitter site and connected using the "local LAN' i.e. behind the NAT firewall and using the local subnet address for the 'radio' unit and using a DHCP supplied local address for the control unit. Connection was established immediately and receiver tuning and audio is fine.

But transmit audio is NOT.  On air reports it as distorted and in the monitor it sounds very loud, noisy, and rough, as if the gain is way too high. With K3 mic gain at 0 there is no audio at all, with it set to 1 it is loud and distorted, and I get almost full scale ALC indication..

My first thought was RF getting into the control unit, and I cannot totally eliminate this as a cause, but there is no observed difference in the transmit audio with transmit power at 1 W versus 100 W. I am using three separate power supplies for the K3, RRC, and K3/0.

Has anyone else encountered and solved this problem already?

Do I need to play with the codec gain and other settings to resolve this?

What else should I try?

73 John N5CQ

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: K3/0 to K3 over WLAN versus local LAN
« Reply #1 on: 2015-11-09, 09:44:07 »
Hi

Check if any of the red straps is broken or if a mic cable is bad, it's sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. You should not change any settings because you have moved the equipment.

73 de mike

N5CQ

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: K3/0 to K3 over WLAN versus local LAN
« Reply #2 on: 2015-11-09, 23:20:45 »
I have moved the control RRC back and forth from home to the remote site and the distortion problem is only at the remote site using the 'local LAN' connection, so I don't think it is the strapping. I may try another RRC unit to completely eliminate that cause.

I am going to try some other power supplies (I did not move those from home to remote site yet, but I will) and also try using a dummy load to eliminate any RF feedback, but I still get the distortion even if the K3 power is set to 0.

I don't operate at the control site that often, but I want to figure this out.

73 John N5CQ