RRC 1258 Support in English > General discussion forum

Keyer is a little odd

(1/2) > >>

K5DN:
The keyer on my new RRC's works ok, but behaves a bit funky compared to my other keyers.  When I hit dit a little too soon after a dah, it is ignored; no dit occurs.  My Icom, mfj, and k1el keyers don't do this.  Maybe I have just picked up a bad habit.

Has anyone else noticed this?  I will eventually have to re-train the fist or try to hook up a separate keyer somehow.

Bob

K5DN:
I should have added that the above occurred in mode A.  I tried the other modes, but have problems with all of them.  The old squeeze mode seems to do the same thing. Mode B has the opposite problem of adding in extra dits sometimes; I guess this is expected with someone not accustomed to mode B.  I am now using a single paddle key; haven't tried it yet with the dual paddle.

Is there a way to run an external keyer and retain the the buffering and timing features?  It seems like a straight key mode is needed to do this.

sm3ccm:
I'm using a dual paddle and have the same problem. For me it looks like that there is a problem
with the dot and dash memories. C will often be a K, F will be a U a.s.o. Missing a dot after a dash before a word space. I don't have this problem with ICOM, AEA and MFJ keyers.

73 de Lars

K5DN:
Thanks for your comments Lars.  I thought maybe it was just my fumble fingers.

Can Microbit please look into this problem?  It is very difficult for me to use as it is.

K5DN, Bob

K5DN:
I found that adding a 0.47 uF cap from the paddle dit terminal to gnd greatly reduces the chance for a dropped dit.  But it may also increase likelihood of an extra dit at the end of a string.

I also found the the instructions for connecting an external keyer are right there in the manual in plain english; should have RTFM.  I think I will be happy with this solution, and microbit may have more important issues than tweaking the keyer.

Thanks,
Bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version