Author Topic: Using MiFi at the Rig Site  (Read 3433 times)

jkmusic

• View Profile
Using MiFi at the Rig Site
« on: 2016-09-20, 15:50:15 »
Hi,
I am mounting an 857D at a remote tower site.  I would like to use an ATT mifi as the internet connection for the rig. In a nutshell, will this work? I can set a static LAN IP for the 1258 but will time outs, etc keep the wifi from joining to the RemoteRig DDNS? Any help appreciated before I go to all this trouble and make an unreachable rig.
Thanks,
Kevin

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Using MiFi at the Rig Site
« Reply #1 on: 2016-09-20, 16:57:47 »
Sorry, Kevin, but it will not work.

The reason is that AT&T does not provide you an true external IP address that will allow you to port
forward to the outside. I believe that there are business services available that cost a lot more that
will provide you a true external IP address, but you would have to ask AT&T.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

jkmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-09-20, 23:26:17 »
Thanks.  Maybe it has changed.  I spoke with them today and they suggest using a DDNS Service and said I can enable port forwarding on the device. 14 day return policy.  I googled the config and it has the firewall and port options; even DMZ. I guess next steps are just to test.  Any other info from the group is certainly welcome. 

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-09-21, 02:00:05 »
You may have misunderstood me: the mifi router is for sure ok. The problem is the AT&T service. The
consumer service gives you an internal IP number, meaning it can't be reachable using port forwarding
from the outside (this problem is called "double NAT"). You will find several negative stories on AT&T if
you search this forum, also concerning the same problem for their U-verse service. Apparently you can
get a true, routable external IP number by paying a lot more money for a business account.

Anyway, you are welcome to buy it and see if it works. Just warning you  ;)

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX