Author Topic: comment request on control/radio box settings  (Read 11495 times)

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: comment request on control/radio box settings
« Reply #15 on: 2016-10-22, 23:00:11 »
>>When using HRD you inititate the SIP session by pressing the "connect" button on the status page

Yes, and when I do that the adapter CTS, RTS, and DSR (only) LEDs immediately illuminate.  However they stay lit with no pulsing and the TXD and RXD LEDs never indicate data flow at all.

My adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHYJWWG/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: 2016-10-25, 03:37:29 »
Still fighting this inability to connect RRC via TS-480 control head *or* with only HRD/DXLab.  Has consumed an estimated 60-80 hours of my vacation now.   Soon won't matter.  At least on this trip.

Found it interesting that even during the 2 year period my RRC did work I never saw any of the Microbit virtual com ports in Device Manager.  All I ever saw was the single entry: "USB Serial Port (COMxx)".  Well, I recently discovered that the illusive Microbit ports can be made to show up in Device Manager if I leave the Set Up Manager cable plugged in.  I had previously thought the cord ought to be unplugged once the two boxes were set up.  Of course the appearance of these ports (see screenshot) hasn't changed a thing as far as my gaining a connection.  Just interesting observations that might mean something worthy of comment by the experts.  Art

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: 2016-10-25, 04:38:05 »
Yes, these are USB ports, so a USB cable must be plugged in to see them in Device Manager.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: 2016-10-25, 05:09:22 »
Plugging my USB-to-serial adapter into a USB port will not cause any of the the Microbit VCPs to appear.  Plugging in the RRC cable to a USB does cause all the Microbit VCPs to appear.  Is that normal?

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: 2016-10-25, 05:11:09 »
Yes, that is correct. Only the USB cable can use the virtual ports built into the RRC.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: 2016-10-25, 05:41:52 »
Can it possibly be the case that a USB to Serial converter on COM2 isn't even needed at all provided you leave the Setup Manager cable plugged in?  Am I guilty of falling prey to the RTFM syndrome?

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: 2016-10-25, 07:25:19 »
That is correct, you can either use a serial cable (or USB adapter) for COM2, or else plug in
a USB cable and use the RRC's built-in serial port emulator. You need to however change the
menu selection for COM2 "use USB com port as COM2" to YES to use the emulation. The ports
otherwise will show in Windows Device Manager, but won't work.

And yes, it is an excellent example of RTFM  ;)

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: 2016-10-27, 06:59:10 »
Mitch, I was afraid of that (the RTFM).  A most recent observation is interesting to me.  Maybe it will be to someone else who may be following this thread.  As previously noted my two boxes will connect and indicate SIP transfer if the Control box "Auto Connect" option is selected.   Once in that mode the remote Radio box interface does begin to show an option box labeled "Disconnect".  Each and every time I click (from N.C.) on that Disconnect option (in Florida) my TS-480 control head (in N.C.) sounds off a short beep.  It is the same short beep that the control head would express when the system actually worked properly about 3 weeks ago, and it was turned on.  Because the Control box Auto Connect option remains "on", clicking on the remote Disconnect button results in only a brief disconnect.  Then the system resumes transferring.  Repeated clicking on Disconnect results in a corresponding series of beeps.

The same day I made the above described observations I also had the opportunity to set up my  Control box, TS-480 head, and laptop, at a completely different QTH in another state (Tenn.).  I was careful to make sure I had a useable connection.  I also had a brand new TS-480 to RRC 6-wire phone cord.  Because my system hasn't, in any normal fashion, tried to work since I left Florida 3+ weeks ago, I was not to surprised that it didn't work in Tennessee either.

When I get back home I'll be anxious to connect the TS-480 head and radio together again.  If proper operation is observed I will begin to seriously doubt that I'll ever see this TS-480 work with RRC again.  At least Elecraft has informed me that my lightning damaged K3/P3 has been fixed.  Since RRC did work quite well with the K3 for almost two years I will have to be satisfied to believe that such operation will resume.  I will also have a little used TS-480 for sale.  Art

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: 2016-10-29, 21:30:08 »
Latest (10/29/16):  Have at last managed to acquire a PC connection by using (only) Control box's "Auto Connect" option.  Works with both HRD and DXLab.  Only works reliably using USB to serial adapter although it has been observed to connect and tune with Microbit's USB to mini-USB cord (different COM ports).  Still no attempt of TS-480 head to evidence a normal turn on.  Interestingly, the TS-480's radio sound does come through the TS-480's otherwise dead control head.  Similarly, the RRC's keyer sound comes through the otherwise dead head.  If I plug headphones directly into RRC all audio is on the left side.  Once the same headphones are plugged into the TS-480 headphone jack then normal monaural audio is present in L and R sides of headphone - just observations.

The best observations are that with this PC software connection by way of the inappropriate "Auto Connect" mode I do see perfectly normal band and power level indications on the virtual 2K-FA panel.  And of course there is normal receiver tuning and band activity sounds.  I could probably make a Q when I elect to.

While the TS-480 is known to be a very reliable radio, searching the Internet on problems with its' head failing to turn on both head and body results in several such instances.  Some relate to jitter changes, some relate to voltage differences between head and body, and some totally unexplained.  Art

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: 2016-11-14, 04:56:32 »
When I returned home and connected the head to body this new TS-480 would not power up.  I verified a good low-ohm continuity and correct indexing of all 6 wires within the cable.  I'm told that the RRC boxes still should have connected when HRD was opened.  This did not happen.  A connection was only possible using Auto Connect mode.  Then the remote radio would work normally.

The same set of RRC boxes were reconfigured to work with the repaired K3/K3-0/mini and normal operation resumed as prior to the lightning strike damage.  Art