RRC 1258 Support in English > General discussion forum

TS-B2000 + RRC-1258 MkII-Set + RC-2000 = Works?

(1/2) > >>

WK9M:
Hello; has anyone successfully used a RRC-1258 MkII setup on a TS-B2000 (faceless TS-2000) with the RC-2000?

This sounds like a good Summer project for me; the Kenwood will be in a location that I can't easily access the radio and will be used 100% remotely.  Just making sure this idea will work before I do it; an expensive project is OK so long as it works!  :)

Thanks

WK9M:
An alternative setup might be the TS-480SAT if the B2000 doesn't work; I give up 70cm but the radio is cheaper.

kb9bpf:
The TS-B2000 is just a TS-2000 without a front panel. I've got an RC-2000 which I use with my remoterig boxes and while it works, it's much harder to use than the standard TS-2000 front panel due to extensive use of menus. Very difficult to operate on HF - seems like any time I want to change anything, even the most basic things like VFOs or memories I have to piddle with the menus.

My recommendation to you, assuming you haven't yet purchased a TS-B2000, is to get a full TS-2000 and use the front panel remotely. You'll have to figure out some way to mount it, though (I've never had mine off, so I don't know what it would entail.)

Brad KB9BPF

WK9M:
Thanks for the tip.  I didn't know that you could use the full front panel remotely.  I used to have a TS-2000 but sold it when I moved to TN because there are lots of restrictions here.  I am coming up with a few ideas from the local hams though.

So if someone has a TS-2000 and has used that full panel remotely--how did you do it?  I remember taking apart the TS-2000 and it had ribbon cables inside that are push-fit into their connector; I'm not sure how you would interface to that.  If I am stuck with the B2000+RC-2000, it's still better than what I have set up now (nothing).

kb9bpf:
I've only had my TS-2000 apart once, at the very beginning when I installed the filters and stuff. Didn't pay much attention to the front panel connection. I just assumed it used a RJ-11 style jack like the TS-480, TM-D71/710, and TM-732 that I'm familiar with.

I pulled up the .pdf of the service manual for the TS-2000 and I see what you mean - it's not that simple. Several interconnections...

Maybe the TS-480 would be a better choice for you? I'm sure anyone who tried to use the RC-2000 for serious HF work such as a contest or DXing where agility is a concern would be pretty disappointed.

I have had my laptop PC running TRX-Manager running concurrently with the RC-2000 at the control end so I wouldn't have to piddle with the menus on the RC-2000. But then you're kinda back to the TS-B2000 idea again.

Sorry to have gotten your hopes up. Now I know why nobody had done it before when the solution seemed (to me) so obvious...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version