RRC-Micro PC Client in English > General discussion

RRC micro changes

(1/4) > >>

Neil:
I have ordered the RRC MICRO but it is a week away and I will be visiting my remote site (300 KM trip one way tomorrow) I presently am using a TS480  and RRC1258MKII's which work great. Do I need to make changes at the remote site to allow use of the RRC MICRO?
Tks
Neil
VE6TCK

dj0qn:
Hi Neil,

RRC Micro requires CAT on COM2 to be working using that setup. If you don't yet have CAT installed, you need to take a
serial cable along and set that up.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Neil:
Thanks Mitch I got the cable installed I am starting to work with Kenwoods ARCP480 for control but I am not able to connect, am I correct in assuming that this software will connect directly to the RRC 1258 MKII with no CPU on site ? I suspect I have an issue with port forwarding or some other such thing .....I realize this is not "kenwood "support but what info you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks
Neil
VE6TCK

dj0qn:
Hi Neil,

It is much simpler than that. From your comments, I assume you didn't read the manual. Anyway,
I have a checklist for setting-up CAT on the TS-480 as follows:

CAT CHECKLIST
---------------------
IMPORTANT: In both scenarios, you MUST first install a standard serial cable between the TS-480 body and COM2 of the radio RRC!

USING A STANDARD SERIAL CABLE
============================
1) Change the CAT rate on the TS-480 to 4800 baud (menu 56). This rate keeps traffic over the internet to a minimum and faster is not necessary for CAT.

2) Change the COM2 serial settings of the radio-RRC to mode-4, 4800 baud, data bits 8, stop bits 1 and submit/apply changes.

3) Change the COM2 serial settings of the control-RRC to mode-4, 4800 baud, data bits 8, stop bits 1 and submit/apply changes.

4) Plug a serial cable in between your PC and the control-RRC COM2

5) Set your software to use the correct COM port on your PC at 4800-8-1-N

USING A USB CABLE
=================
1) Change the CAT rate on the TS-480 to 4800 baud (menu 56). This rate keeps traffic over the internet to a minimum and faster is not necessary for CAT.

2) Change the COM2 serial settings of the radio-RRC to mode-4, 4800 baud, data bits 8, stop bits 1 and submit/apply changes.

3) Install the Microbit Setup Manager if you already haven't. You don't need the problem for this, but this installs the correct drivers on your PC.

4) Change the COM2 serial settings of the control-RRC to mode-4, 4800 baud, data bits 8, stop bits 1, "use USB Com Port as COM2" to "Yes" and submit/apply changes.

5) Plug a USB cable between your PC and control-RRC. Make sure you do NOT do his before step 3 above!

6) Find out the correct port in your Windows Device Manager to use by looking for the "Microbit RRC Virtual COM Port (COM2)"

7) Set your software to use the this COM port on your PC at 4800-8-1-N.

I assume this solves your problem.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Neil:
Thanks for the check list Mitch that will be helpful  to many I did read the manual but my comprehension may have been lacking ( I suffer from a diagnosed learning disability and am old enough to remember 8" floppies hihi)  I try to stay abreast of technology but it might be winning. I will keep at it ...but back to the question I posed. Will my local rig control software in this case ARCP480 communicate and control the RRC1285MKII on the remote site with out a computer on that site? I am lead to believe this from the graphic on the RRC micro PC Client page. My  RRC Micro will be here Monday and I will be back at it in earnest.

TKS
Neil
VE6TCK

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version