Author Topic: Internet speed requirements.  (Read 3121 times)

M1AQO

• View Profile
    • Email
Internet speed requirements.
« on: 2018-02-27, 15:03:10 »
Good afternoon All,
I'm a frustrated Flex SmartSDR customer trying to use their remote system but cannot resolve the audio drop outs on SSB.
I am looking at the RemoteRig solution and I thought it best to ask advice before I buy in order not to be in the same position as the Flex.
Broadband speed at the remote site is 70mb down and 25mb up.  At the operating site 25mb down and 5mb up.  Using Cat6 cable to a 1gig switch direct from the router at the remote site and a cat6 cable straight out of the router to currently the Flex.
My knowledge is limited so excuse the question but would it be fair to say that there would be less data for the network to cope with, with say a 480 and the remote rig setup compared to my Flex6300 SDR.  My main mode is CW so any suggestion on a rig to give me an internal keyer with my paddle and the use of my straight key would be appreciated.
Thanks
Glenn
M1AQO

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Internet speed requirements.
« Reply #1 on: 2018-02-27, 16:02:05 »
Glenn,

I am certainly not an expert on Flex, but have had a number of talks with them over the years.

I believe that your issue is due to the amount of data that is sent down the network for the screen
display. They told me that to optimize for remote work, you need to adjust the frame rate to a
lower level, which significantly reduces the bandwidth required. That is where I would start if I were
you.

Here is a post that I just found using Google:
https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/203891569-How-to-Reduce-Network-Bandwidth-utilized-by-SmartSDR

I therefore honestly do not believe that RemoteRig would make any difference, since the issue is not the
audio bandwidth. If someone thinks otherwise, then they are welcome to speak up.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX