RRC 1258 Support in English > Hardware, Cabling, Installations

K3S & K3/0 & wsjt-x - do I need COM2?

<< < (2/7) > >>

k7fu:
I didn't want it on all the time the K3 was on.

I suppose that's not a huge problem. I will try it your way. :)

oz1rh:
Sri, I had not figured out that you sometimes want to run barefoot.

I manage my 13,8 V at the radio site with a Rigrunner 4005i Wifi: www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=rr_4005i so I can check voltage and current and even power cycle both my K3S and the RRC 1258 should I need to. That need has not happend yet, but nice to be in control. The Rigrunner has built in fuses and over voltage protection. Wifi might be an advantage during thunderstorms.

You could use a Rigrunner 4005i Wifi to power on/off you KPA1500 with 13,8 V to the REM port.

BTW the KPA1500 can be remoted via its ethernet port. I would do all 3: 12 V to REM, Rigrunner and use the ethernet port.

73, Palle, OZ1RH.

k7fu:
More useless background: I'm only really remoting the radio from my 2nd Floor office to my basement. It was easier to rewire the electricity down there for the amp. As far as the power to the KPA1500 goes, I've found that I can't reliably turn the power on and off using Ethernet, but I can using USB. I can leave the computer down by the radio/amp. I bought it for that purpose anyway.

I can now get my Mac logging software to talk to my K3, but not my K3 Update utility.

I don't have a sound card for my Mac. I've been using the USB audio out on my K3. I don't suppose there's already USB audio on the K3/0 and I can rewire the "broken audio" someway?

Otherwise, I think I'm back to trying to get the COM1 on the radio side to work and I'm going to remotely operate wsjtx.

oz1rh:
There is an USB audio device on the K3/0, but it can't be used as input and output is reversed. I don't think you can fix it or an USB input device can be made into an output device using a Virtual Audio Cable. Instead ask Elecraft to fix this error.

However Mike and Speakers on the left side works for digital remote if you reverse the two cables between the K3/0 and your pc.

As your radio and control site are in the same house you should not have many problems if radio and control are on the same LAN. If you want to use a pc at the radio you may use COM1 as Mitch has written.

73, Palle, OZ1RH.

dj0qn:

--- Quote from: k7emi on 2018-07-27, 17:34:48 ---
No one has answered my question: can I talk to the K3(S) on the radio side using RS-232 with a computer next to the radio while I'm using the RRC-1258 MkII?

--- End quote ---

I answered that above, read my checklist.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version