Author Topic: TS480sat SSB bad audio reports  (Read 4585 times)

k3jv

• View Profile
TS480sat SSB bad audio reports
« on: 2019-05-24, 22:35:43 »
I have my TS480 setup and running with the RRC 1258 MII (radio unit) set up at my daughters house about 35 miles from my qth. I am using the Kenwood MC60 desk mic I have had several reports that the transmitted audio is mostly the high frequencies of the voice spectrum and not any of the low frequencies present. I am told that at the receiving station it is very difficult to understand me because of missing low frequencies.
Unfortunately, using a second receiver,  I cant hear my signal from the remote TS480 transmitter on ground wave to try and adjust the settings.

Does someone have a TS480 operating with voice audio they have been told that is not objectionable and can you share your settings with me? I am thinking of  the settings in TS480; xmit band width, equalizer settings etc.  and what settings do have for the RRC 1258 MII for the control unit and radio unit. Having those settings will at least give me a place to start.

Thanks,
Joe K3JV

VK3ALB

• View Profile
Re: TS480sat SSB bad audio reports
« Reply #1 on: 2019-05-24, 23:20:34 »
Hi Joe,

I've had great audio reports from my TS480 using the default settings on the rig and the RRC - definitely no EQ - using the fist mic that came with the radio.

You point out the MC60, have you just started using it? You don't say how you are using the mic, are you speaking directly into it or are you a foot or two away? Personally, I have not had much success using mics at a distance and certainly the lows are lost once you move your mouth away from a dynamic mic.

If by chance you have a VGS-1 you can record your audio and use the MON function to listen to your TX audio. Don't forget the VGS-1 has its own MIC and PROC level adjustments.
Lou
VK3ALB

k3jv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-05-25, 02:16:23 »
Lou VK3ALB
I was close talking the mc60 with mike pre amp on. I am now using the fist mike and all of the settings are default. I turned the TX equalizer off in the TS480. I dont have the VGS-1 in this radio but may get one. I will check into one of the nets and get a audio report using the fist mike.
One thing i notice is with the fist mike I have to have the mic gain set to about 80% to get any alc deflection. What do have set for MIC gain on your setup?
K3JV Joe

VK3ALB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-05-25, 14:41:42 »
Hi Joe,

My 480 setup is in storage at the moment so cannot tell you the exact settings. 80% does seem high but that may be within normal limits. Perhaps someone reading this could check their settings?

Lou
VK3ALB

k3jv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-05-25, 21:05:00 »
VK3ALB Lou
Looks like I solved the problem I was having with "bad audio" reports. I took the MC60 off and reverted to the the fist mike that came with the TS480. I turned off the TS480 TX audio equalizer which I was trying to use to boost the lower end voice frequencies.

The fix for voice operation was to turn on "CODEC inp preamp"(default) and the "CODEC in GAIN" to 13 (default) and use the fist Mic.  I now get ALC action with the MIC Drive level in the TS480 to 40 to 50 %. With the "CODEC inp preamp" set to "NO" it took 85 to 90 % Mic drive in the TS480 to get any ALC action.

I had "CODEC inp preamp" turned to "NO" because of RFI reports during early testing of my system and forgot that it was off. The default values work for the TS480 on SSB.

After making the fixes above I was able to work EA3JE on 75 meters SSB last evening and even got through during a small pile up.

K3JV Joe

VK3ALB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-05-25, 23:19:41 »
Good new Joe,

We all know how good the Kenwood audio is normally. 40% MIC sounds more reaonable. I suppose that means you could use the MC60 too.
Lou
VK3ALB

k3jv

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2019-06-04, 13:31:50 »
Still get reports of "restricted audio", audio lacks lower frequencies.
Looking at the "radio settings" for RRC (control) unit there is a adjustment for "audio quality". What does this setting do?

Is there any documentation that explains what the "audio quality" settings affect?
Is there documentation explaining what the other settings in the "radio settings" menu do?

I am using the Kenwood TS480 with oem hand mic and remote rig RRC-1258 MKII.

Thanks,

Joe K3JV