Author Topic: Remoterig internal keyer  (Read 2156 times)

George W1EBI

• View Profile
Remoterig internal keyer
« on: 2020-07-16, 05:11:15 »
I finally got my remote link set up in Yaesu Twin with a pair of FTdx-5000's.  The remote site is in Quebec.  I have two issues:
(1)  I am not happy with the internal keyer in the RRC1258.  What are the Keyer Settings to use for my own CMOS IV keyer?  I am getting dits on both dot and dash side at the moment.
(2)  How can I configure N1MM Logger in the Control radio to follow tuning, send F-key messages and log QSO's?  Or do I need to have a mirror copy of N1MM Logger in a PC at the remote site?

George W1EBI/VA2EBI

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Remoterig internal keyer
« Reply #1 on: 2020-07-16, 06:49:49 »
George,

(1) Looks like the socket the radio RRC is connected to is acting like a keyer jack. It must act as a straight
key jack to work properly. Most rigs have a separate paddle and key jack, one must use the key jack. Maybe
that rig has a menu to configure the jack?

To use your external keyer, just follow the instructions in the RemoteRig manual on pages 95-96 & 243 (Appendix B).

Another alternative would be to use the RRC's built-in Winkey emulation. You need to change COM3/COMEXTRA to Winkeyer
and then use that USB serial port in Windows under your control software.

(2) Just use CAT! If you don't know how to set CAT up for that setup, here is a checklist to help you out:

CAT Checklist for RemoteRig Twin
--------------------------------------
Note first that in a "Twin" configuration, COM2 is used to "tie" the two ends together and carries the CAT data. In order to access CAT, you need to get to COM2 without touching it. The easiest method is to duplicate COM2 over COM1 using a function in the RRC as follows:

- Change both RRC's COM1 to mode-7. Note that the baud rate does not have to be identical with COM2 to fit a lower bandwidth or software requirement.

- If using a "real" serial cable:
     - connect a straight through serial cable between the control RRC's COM1 and the PC. If using a USB to serial converter cable, make sure it is using an FTDI chipset.
     - note that if you also use the radio RRC's COM1, the pinout is not the standard straight-through serial port. Use the pinout description in the RemoteRig manual, or just try a null-modem cable which usually works (may need a gender changer).
     - the  serial setting for COM1 "Use USB Com Port as COM1" must be set to NO

- If using USB:
     - make sure that first Microbit Setup Manager is installed first on the control PC to get the drivers.
     - Then change the serial settings for COM1 to change "Use USB Com Port as COM1" to YES
     - connect the USB cable between the RRC and computer and wait for the drivers to finish installing
     - go to the Windows Device Manager and look at which virtual serial port was assigned to COM1 and use that for your software, taking the correct baud rate into account.

Note also that you can pull CAT data in parallel off of the radio RRC to use a PC on that end, or to sync with a remote device (amplifier, SteppIR, etc.)

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VA2EBI

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Remoterig internal keyer
« Reply #2 on: 2020-07-17, 15:55:21 »
Hi Mitch, nice to hear from you.  Let me check this out.  It was painful getting the RRC's connected and working, but I'm on the air--more or less.  Several things to work on, but I'm making DX QSO's in CW.  I have a feeling I'm going to be back to the Forum.

George W1EBI/VA2EBI