Author Topic: Echoed dits in CW  (Read 2641 times)

ea3geo

• View Profile
    • Email
Echoed dits in CW
« on: 2020-08-22, 14:42:54 »
Dear OM's,

I wonder if somebody has experienced this. I'm hearing echoed dits in my headphones when transmitting CW.

This happens both with an straight key or and iambic paddle with the keyer. It's always with the first dits. Echoed dits are heard while generating new dits in a way that you hear a very disturbing mess. This can happen on the first 7 or 8 dits. After some dits are sent, this strange behavior stops to happen.

It has nothing to do with the radio side. It's all in the control side. I have even checked with no computer and no other cables than the PSU and the pad. Just with this, it can be already felt.

Any ideas?

73 from EA3GEO, Daniel

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Echoed dits in CW
« Reply #1 on: 2020-08-22, 14:45:41 »
Daniel,

Is the CW sidetone turned off on your rig?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

ea3geo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2020-08-22, 16:18:49 »
Hi Mitch,

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes, this is off (TS2000 Menu A13 Sidetone volume OFF).

But anyway, please notice that this is generated from the RRC1258 Control side. I can hear this echo even disconnected from the radio side.

In fact, I have tried different headphones and speakers and I have reinjected the latest firmware with the same result.

I have also tried with no other cables connected to the RRC other than 12VDC, the pad and the headphones and it happens the same. I can hear echoed dits.

Something maybe interesting is that this doesn't happen at very low speeds (say 7 to 10 wpm). It's starting from around 14 wpm.

I'm starting to thing in some kind of malfunction in the RRC unit (?).

Tks for your help.

Daniel, EA3GEO

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2020-08-22, 16:59:55 »
Hi Daniel,

I highly doubt a malfunction.

Is full-duplex turned off as it should be?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2020-08-22, 17:59:46 »
Hi
The only thing that can cause somrthing like a echo is if the side tone in the radio is  activated as Mitch says

73 de mike

ea3geo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2020-08-22, 21:48:23 »
Dear Mitch and Mike,

Tks for your help. This is highly appreciated.

Mitch, yes, full-duplex is off.

Mike, I also can notice this kind-of echo with the RRC-control side not connected to the radio side. Thus, I can't see the connection with any parameter in the TS-2000. Anyway, the side tone volume is set to 0.

I will try to record an mp3 file for you to have a feeling of that.

I'm still investigating if this has a coincidence with another strange behavior I can also hear sometimes. It's a kind of double audio. A bit similar to an stereo audio where left and right had some delay one with the other. I'd say that the echoed dits only occur when this happens.

It's a bit puzzling because this doesn't always happen. It happens sometimes.

Let me investigate a bit further and I will let you know.

Tks & 73 from Daniel, EA3GEO