RRC 1258 Support in English > Configuration, RRC 1258

Trouble Maintaining HRD CAT Connection

<< < (2/2)

Pedro:
Hi,

just reading this issue because I'm facing the same problem with my setup.

Rig: Icom IC-7000
at control side: HRD v 4.1

When I was testing the setup in the same network all worked ok.

Now just got remote and after pass all the issues with RRC's connections TX and RX are 100%.....but a last problem came up .....HRD is just working for a few seconds (10-30 secs) before freezes and I'm not able to control the rig anymore.

In my side I'm using the standard Icom connection sugested in the manual, so at the control side I just get CAT signal via COM2 and I use a RS232 coverter to USB port of the computer.

After reading the above posts I just tried to downgrade my RRC version from 2.41 to 1.38 (because all was working inicially with this version....but as far as I can concluded  it was due I had all the gear in the same network) but the problem is the same.

I also verify that if I disconnet the control and connect it again the HRD gets working again for a few secs and then get blocked and stop working.

Hoppe to get an idea how to fix this...thanks,

73's
Pedro

KR3JA:
Pedro,
No luck using HRD with the 746Pro.  To get this to work, I've switched CAT programs.  One I've found that works is Commander (http://www.dxlabsuite.com/commander/).  Their list says they support IC-7000 as well.  

This program is not as nearly full featured as HRD, but it allows me to do what I want to do.  To connect, click the CONFIG button in the interface and change the values under the GENERAL and PORTS tab to match your radio, etc.  One thing I've found that helps is to change the "Command Interval (ms)" to "50."  I am still all on my local network, so that may be too quick for a remote configuration.  I will be testing remotely for the first time today and will report any changes.

The one thing I don't like about Commander is that there are not a lot of software controls for the radio's specific hardware.  When connecting to my 746Pro, I can't control the AF Gain when first starting Commander.  The good thing is that Commander allows you to load in "Slider Definitions" which allow you to tie Commander's 8 sliders to hardware controls on your radio.   To see the sliders, open the config window of Commander, go to the GENERAL tab, locate the General panel, and make sure the "Show User-defined Controls Panel" check box is checked.

Instructions for programming the sliders in Commander can be found here: http://www.dxlabsuite.com/commander/Help/CommandSequences.htm and the reference I used to locate the structure of the CI-V commands is found here: http://www.plicht.de/ekki/civ/civ-p0a.html (specifically section 4.2).  Many thanks to Commander and Ekkehard Plicht and his great reference!!

Commander experiences none of the issues I've seen with HRD.  I've had great success with HRD in other configurations, but I've had no luck with HRD and Remote Rig boxes. 

If you test Commander out, let me know how it works for you.

The problem was probably due to the way HRD was sending/receiving commands.  It is probably not an issue with the RRCs as once HRD experiences its "timeout", Commander has no problem establishing a connection.  

Good luck with your setup!

Jim KR3JA

KR3JA:
Pedro,
Everything works remotely using Commander!  The only issue I ran into was that I didn't poke holes in my firewall at first for ports I used for SIP, Audio, and Command.  Once I directed that UDP traffic through the firewall to the Radio RRC, all worked flawlessly. 

Hope you have success as well.

Jim KR3JA

Pedro:
Hi Jim,

thaks for your posts. In my side I just gave up on trying the HRD (ver 4.1 and 5 on Windows 7, 32bits). In my setup I'm running the remoterig boxes 100% in diferent networks (tx and rx functions).

I've tried the Commander software and it worked and did not crashed but I felt some latency in changing freqs (worked better than HRD for me). I should say that HRD is a great product when I worked it in the same network at my home.

Meanwhile I just decided to try another program for my IC-7000 (http://www.iz2bkt.com) and this one works almost perfectly and is far more userfriendly. The problem, it' just for IC-7000 and there is also a version for the IC-706.

In conclusion, I just don't know what's causing the freezing with HRD/RRC's connection.....Windows 7? I just disabled all firewalls and the problem didn't desapeared. Also tried the RRC USB com port for CAT control (v 2.41) but almost the same...it freezes after some seconds of normal operation.

Best 73's
Pedro
ct1eky

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version