Author Topic: 3G connection working better than expected! Works perfect!  (Read 6936 times)

K7FD

• View Profile
Today I hooked up the remote rig units via AT&T wireless and a USBConnect Lightning Sierra 305 aircard. In addition, I am using a ZOOM 3G wireless travel router, thus negating the need for a laptop. Just stick the aircard in the ZOOM and run Ethernet cable from back of the ZOOM to the control RRC. The ZOOM travel router, by the way, runs from an internal battery, making it somewhat portable.

With this set up, I am happy to report crystal clear and jitter-free communications using my TS480SAT from anywhere I can connect to a 3G signal. There were zero dropouts and the connection was rock solid. This is very different than I experienced connecting to most wi-fi hotspots.

My data plan is 5GB per month, so will keep a watchful eye on usage! However, so far it seems an hour of operating hardly put a dent in the 5GB plan. Will keep you posted on this...

73 John K7FD

4Z4OQ

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 3G connection working better than expected! Works perfect!
« Reply #1 on: 2011-08-01, 11:33:36 »
Hi John

thanks for sharing. Can you please give us more info... - what is the Ping rate you have, what are the parameters Jitter, buffer etc you have. i am usineg also 3G and got problems with SSB and CW

Thanks
Ziv-4Z4OQ

K7FD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-03, 21:40:48 »
At present, my ping rate from my AT&T 3G connection at the control RRC to my router and radio RRC at home averages 192ms. Jitter buffer is 3, jitter delay is 4, audio packet size is 20. Audio quality is set to 1.
My AT&T 3G USB air card is a Sierra USBConnect...

I no longer use the ZOOM Traveler wireless 3G router. It added some latency I believe. Now I plug the AT&T 3G USB card directly to the laptop and share the wireless network connection to the laptop's internal Ethernet network connection.

I carry the control RRC in my RV and connect back to my home QTH using a Kenwood TS-480SAT. BTW, I find the Kenwood TS-480SAT rig to be one of the best kept secrets in ham radio! Very reasonable price and above average specs for a rig under 1K US$.

After experimenting with several wi-fi hotspots (Starbucks, McDonald's, hotels, etc.) I have found the 3G card to be head and shoulders above the free wi-fi connections. With the wi-fi, I experienced quite a bit of dropouts. With 3G, it is solid copy on receive...and on transmit, no complaints from the other operator.

I have also found, so far, that I use very little of my monthly 5G bandwidth allocation. After 5 days of operating, 2 to 3 hours a day, I still have over 4.5G available. Since this set up will only be used when I am in the RV travelling, 5G appears to be plenty for all the operating I will do while portable...

Note: I am operating SSB. My success with CW has not yet been successful, dealing with timing issues. I'm hoping to solve CW with lf and delay settings for the keyer. So far, I haven't found the right combination, hi.

Hope this dialogue  helps...

73 John K7FD

« Last Edit: 2011-08-03, 23:12:00 by K7FD »

ei6al

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-09, 18:58:21 »
Hi John and Ziv,
I also use 3G but 90% of operating is CW, and average latency about 180ms.  Thought you might be interested in the settings I eventually settled on:  Audio quality 0, jitter buffer 15, jitter delay 14, audio packet size 20, LF delay 650 and key delay 200.  This works  to 30 wpm below latency 200.  The LF delay appears high (the setup suggests a max of 500) but was necessary to avoid an annoying echo on CW.  Reports on SSB have also been good.
Dave  EI6AL

K7FD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-09, 22:15:59 »
Thanks for the info, Dave. I did bump lf and key delay to same settings as you and having better luck on CW. I am using the built in keyer sidetone, which I assume you are using as well? My jitter buffer is 7 and delay is 6 but may bump that up, too.

I am again experimenting bypassing using a shared wireless 3G connection in the laptop and going straight from the Zoom Travel modem, model 4506. It has a built in li-battery which I like for portable operation...

Today at lunch, I got a good connection through the Zoom Travel modem and checked in 'error free' to one of the west coast SSB 40m nets from my car...

73 John K7FD

k5ax

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-11, 06:57:07 »
Hello John
Great set up with the 3G. This is what I want to do.  But in learning curve with very limited experience with IT stuff.
Can you Send me a block diagram of your 3G set up, and;s  Answer below question:
     1.  Am I correct assuming that the SIP technology is all that is needed to connect with the 2 boxes?
      2. Do I need to put passwords in the box set ups?

I had the 2 boxes working (running my IC706) with both boxes connected to myshack router, but now I am in SF with the control box and 706 panel but all I get out of the hotel eithernet cable is a european busy signal. HI.
Appreciate any help you can offer.
73s Tom K5AX

K7FD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-08-11, 15:37:04 »
I sent you an email, Tom. Basic diagram below:

Kenwood TS-480SAT face ->  Control RRC  ->  Zoom Model 4506 3G Travel Router  ->  AT&T USBConnect Sierra Wireless Model 308 air card

To the Cloud/Internet

Home cable modem  ->  Remote RRC  ->  Kenwood TS-480SAT base  ->  antenna