Author Topic: TS-480 + RRC without Head?  (Read 8612 times)

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
TS-480 + RRC without Head?
« on: 2011-08-31, 16:28:34 »
I just exchanged a few mails with a local OM who has ordered a combination of equipment
which I am not so sure makes any sense.

A group of three people ordered one TS-480, one full set of RRC's and two control RRC's. The
plan is for one person to use the TS-480 + control RRC remotely (as usual), but the other two
users are planning to use the TS-480 over their RRC's without buying extra heads. They plan to
use only HRD to control the TS-480.

My logic says that they should have ordered the PC Client when they don't want to buy a head,
but the order is already completed. I therefore tested one of my RRC's to see if I could get this
to work like they want by removing the cable from the head. As I suspected, I could not get HRD
to connect to the remote RRC in any way, only when I first plugged back in the head and turned
the TS-480 on, did HRD connect up as usual through the CAT port on the the RRC COM2.

So the question is: has anyone found a trick or work-around for this type of operation? Or have
these two guys really made a mistake?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: TS-480 + RRC without Head?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-08-31, 16:37:21 »
No workaround needed. TS-480 do not need the control head. But both the TTL control cable and the CAT cable must be used from RRC o Radio and the settings must be OK. HRD starts the radio.

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-31, 16:43:50 »
That is good news, but it should in that case work when I disconnect my head, but it doesn't.

Is there a setting that needs to be changed in either RRC that I may not be using now, since I use
a head?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

dd2ml

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-31, 20:28:10 »
Hi Mitch, hi Mike,

I´m one of these guy´s. I´m sure that will work. We tested the 480 and HRD and it switches on and off when the programm starts or is being closed.

vy 73
Ulli
DD2ML

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-31, 20:51:01 »
Hi Ulli,

I tested it as well, but it didn't work  :'(

All I did was to remove the cable fro the head, nothing else in hardware or config was changed.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

DM5TI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-31, 22:20:56 »
Hi Mike, Mitch and Ulli,

I'm very interested on the solution of this problem. I'm the user who wants to use remoterig w/o TS-480 controll head. Thanks in advance es 73 ... Harry DM5TI

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2011-08-31, 23:25:52 »
Looks like we are all here now.....

Maybe Ulli will give me the settings he uses for the RRC that he got to make the TS-480 turn on with HRD and
I can verify that it works that way without the head attached.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
TS-480 + RRC without Head?
« Reply #7 on: 2011-09-01, 11:19:02 »
Since no one sent me details, I did some more experimenting and found a couple of work-arounds:

1) As expected, HRD connects and turns the TS-480 on if both RRC's are in Program Mode 4. Since this is a
    mixed head / non-head environment, then this is not a solution. This would be the same as when the TS-480
    is running locally in the shack.

2) If I switch the radio-RRC to mode 5, then HRD using the control-RRC (still in mode 4) receives a "can't connect".
    However, if you then wait a couple of seconds and try again, then it does connect and turns the TS-480 on.
    The control-RRC maintains the SIP connection, so the other user with a head can not connect. Therefore, the
    user without the head must turn off or restart his control-RRC to allow the other user(s) with a head to access.

3) The other work-around would be for the head user(s) to manually switch the radio-RRC (using web config over
    the internet) to mode 5 and then back again. The non-head users can leave their RRC's in mode 4. Of course,
    this can be done the other way around.

Unless you have a better way, then I will assume that these are the two work-arounds to suggest.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7Dx

dd2ml

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2011-09-01, 16:37:24 »
Hi Mitch,

you didn´t get a response because we just ordered the stuff. It will arrive at the end of sept. Then we can test and figure out.

We just wanted to know if our ordering was correct or if we did a mistake in the planning.

Ulli

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2011-09-01, 16:41:44 »
Hi Ulli,

Then I misunderstood you, since I didn't know you were part of that group.

Yes, you did make a mistake, since you could have saved money and made it easier
by ordering the PC Clients instead. However, I found a work-around by switching
manually between modes, see my last mail point 3. Unless someone comes-up with
a better method, that is my suggestion.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

dd2ml

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2011-09-01, 18:06:13 »
That seems to be ok.

How about CW with the dongle version? Harry is thinking about that.

Ulli

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2011-09-01, 18:17:17 »
Ulli,

I mentioned that to Harry yesterday, but the answer is that the main advantage to
using an RRC would be CW paddle support. With the PC Client solution, you have
to use the PC keyboard only to send CW, assuming no other solution has been
implemented.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX