Author Topic: unable to connect to remote via internet  (Read 10033 times)

K7CH

• View Profile
    • Email
unable to connect to remote via internet
« on: 2012-10-23, 02:02:33 »
I'm able to connect and operate remote rig when on my LAN. Unable to connect using internet, have changed routers, set port forwarding, using DNS, still nothing. Any help would be great. My router is a pair of Linksys RV 042.

Thanks
Carl
K7CH

WW2DX (Lee)

• AOL Instant Messenger - ljimber
    • View Profile
Re: unable to connect to remote via internet
« Reply #1 on: 2012-10-23, 03:22:08 »
Hi Carl,

Can you share your router port forwarding settings? What type of radio(s) are you using?

73 Lee
WW2DX

K7CH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2012-10-23, 05:22:31 »
Hi Lee
forwarding 12000, 11000, 5060, 23, and 80 to LAN IP 192.168.1.21 which is the Radio RCC. When I test the connection on my local LAN it works great, but when I try it over the internet I get SIP error with no connection.  The rig is a TS 2000B which has been remoted  for many years using remote desk top, and skype.
I also use dyndns.
When I click on connect at the control end, the yellow led at the RJ45 starts blinking and will continue until I reset the RCC.

Carl

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-10-23, 07:33:24 »
Carl,

Try changed the SIP port from 5060 to something else. This port is used by many routers for VoIP.

I can send you my networking checklist that may help you. Drop a direct mail to dj0qn (at) darc.de and I will send it to you.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

F5JM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-12-14, 15:18:23 »
I'm able to connect and operate remote rig when on my LAN. Unable to connect using internet, have changed routers, set port forwarding, using DNS, still nothing. Any help would be great. My router is a pair of Linksys RV 042.

Thanks
Carl
K7CH

Same problem here, work perfectly on a local network, wired or wifi, but no luck from outside.
The manual lack some info on remote setting of the client and router on the server side.
Using the proper IP address of my own router back home does not work as expected.

A tutorial or video would just be great.

John
F5JM

WW2DX (Lee)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-12-14, 15:51:49 »
Hi John,

I have run into numerous router issues over the past year.

The easiest test to try is to place the RRC on the routers DMZ. This setting is usually under security/firewall. You place the RRC's internal IP ie. 192.168.1.x (for example) as the host that is to be placed on the routers DMZ. The DMZ is simply a host that the firewall passes all traffic too. This will eliminate a lot of issues when first testing over the internet.

Let us know how you make out.

73 Lee
WW2DX

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2012-12-14, 18:50:06 »
Carl,

I already offered to send you my checklist, which is essentially what you are asking for.

If you send me a short mail, I will reply with the checklist. That may solve your problem.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

F5JM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-12-17, 19:21:43 »
Hi John,

The easiest test to try is to place the RRC on the routers DMZ. This setting is usually under security/firewall. You place the RRC's internal IP ie. 192.168.1.x (for example) as the host that is to be placed on the routers DMZ. The DMZ is simply a host that the firewall passes all traffic too. This will eliminate a lot of issues when first testing over the internet.

73 Lee
WW2DX

Hi Lee, the machine is in the DMZ, the SIP is correct, we even tried to change it on both side, still no luck.
It looks so easy, you have a network with a machine in the DMZ, you set up the firewall to unlock the UPD's and TCP's, you call the proper WAN address of you router and try to link to the machine with the proper port address . Looks like kids stuff, still , it does not work.
As the system works perfectly via wifi on the local network, I could understand that we made a mistake on the SIP address however if we ping this address from a remote location 50 kms away, the answer is correct. We can use any other logging tool like GOtoMeeting etc that do work ok remotely.
I am really disapointed about this. I bought it to do some remote activity from hotels with a laptop and the small USB key but may have to reconsider.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2012-12-17, 19:25:20 »
John,

Same goes for you....drop me a short mail and I will send you my checklist. There is often only
one or two items that are wrong and this will help you find it/them. I have helped over 100 remotes
to get working using my list.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX
« Last Edit: 2012-12-17, 19:54:00 by dj0qn »

F5JM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-12-17, 19:47:15 »
Hi John,

73 Lee
WW2DX

Hi Lee, the machine is in the DMZ, the SIP is correct, we even tried to change it on both side, still no luck.
It looks so easy, you have a network with a machine in the DMZ, you set up the firewall to unlock the UPD's and TCP's, you call the proper WAN address of you router and try to link to the machine with the proper port address . Looks like kids stuff, still , it does not work.
As the system works perfectly via wifi on the local network, I could understand that we made a mistake on the SIP address however if we ping this address from a remote location 50 kms away, the answer is correct. We can use any other logging tool like GOtoMeeting etc that do work ok remotely.
I am really disapointed about this. I bought it to do some remote activity from hotels with a laptop and the small USB key but may have to reconsider.

Well thank you for let me re think the whole thing :-)
Talking about IP , if you ping a valid ip , you get an answer, the question is WAS IT THE RIGHT IP?  I went back to the main machine and discovered that the new IP given by ou ISP was no longer the same.
I passed the IP to F6DXE who was testing this for me from a distance of 63 kms and bingo it worked right away.
In short we have new fixed IP and forget to right it down thus having still the old address in file.

May be a new line for the manual :-) or a video on how to setup remotly.

73's
John, F5JM

WW2DX (Lee)

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-12-17, 19:53:13 »
Ok John,

Glad you have success :)

Yes your ISP will most likely change your IP when the default lease time is up.

The way to solve this is to use a dynamic DNS service like dyndns, no-ip and even Microbit has a built in service as well. This way you point to F5JM.homeip.net and not a IP address. Regardless of what IP your ISP gives you the DNS service automatically updates the name.

73 and have fun with your remote setup!

Lee
WW2DX