Author Topic: Almost had it working - Questions  (Read 3779 times)

troynm

• View Profile
Almost had it working - Questions
« on: 2014-03-29, 04:08:23 »
First question is after setting up DMZ on my router and getting my RRC entered into it I was able to connect to the RRC remote web page from my iPhone. Since this it totally outside my DSL router network I'm thinking that I am good to go as far as having the remote RRC available so I can connect to it from home. Is that correct?

From there I thought I was ok, but I took everything apart to set up the radio and rerun all the cables so they are out of the way. After bringing everything back up I could not connect to my remote RRC from my iPhone or connect to my DSL router from my iPhone. I'm guessing the DSL router IP changed. I was out of time, I had already disconnected my computer, and the owner of the building wanted to close up so I will be going back to the remote site tomorrow to see what happened although I'm pretty sure the IP changed.

I did not set up dynamic DNS on the remote rig, nor did I set it up on my modem although it is available on their configuration menu. I'm a little confused as with the DMZ setup the RRC is using the modem IP. I would think I would want dynamic DNS setup on the modem not the RRC. Another option I have is to lease a fixed IP from CenturyLink for 5.95US a month and not worry about it.

I guess I don't understand why I configure dynamic DNS on the RRC when it is running through the DSL router but I know very little about networks as you can tell.

Thanks
Tom
w5GV

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Almost had it working - Questions
« Reply #1 on: 2014-03-29, 08:27:13 »
Tom,

The provider can change the DSL's IP number whenever they want to. In addition, a small thing like a power
outage will also change the IP number. However, it is not necessary to pay for a fixed IP number, just use the
dynamic DNS system built into the RRC instead, it costs nothing.

You have only one external IP number. This means that is is also unnecessary to have multiple devices talking
to dynamic DNS servers, only one is necessary. Placing it in the router or RRC makes no difference, except that
the RRC will only update at the interval you set (minimum 10 minutes), whereas the router will immediately
send its new IP number as soon as a new one is given by the DSL provider.

Assuming you bound the RRC's internal IP number within the router, then the router should not be a problem in
your case. Generally, placing a device within the DMZ does this, but not always. It is always good to double check.
This is the only way to make sure that the RRC always receives the same internal IP number from the router's
DHCP server.

Had I sent you my networking checklist previously, this would have helped prevent this problem, since it goes into
detail on why you must use a dynamic DNS server. If you still want the list, drop me a mail at dj0qn (at) darc.de and
I will send it to you.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

troynm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-03-29, 20:45:03 »
I  configured dynamic DNS in my remote RRC. Everything is working except I don't have any Xmit audio. I've checked all the settings and all appears correct.

I can plug the mic directly into the radio and have Xmit audio.

No audio running through the RRC control. I'm keying up the radio, no audio.

Thanks,
Tom
W5GV

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2014-03-29, 22:28:20 »
I assume that when you connect, then the status message on both RRC's web pages indicate
no problem with the connect. If this is a problem, then your SIP and/or audio CMD ports are
incorrect or not forwarded if you are outside of the network.

Assuming this is ok, then the problem is with your red strapping wires. Open up the RRC's and
double check to see if they are positioned correctly, or if a wire is not properly seated in the
socket. Make sure that you put them in the correct order, pin 1 is on the right when you look
from the closer edge of the RRC.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

troynm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-03-30, 01:55:57 »
Thanks Mitch! I have it working! While I was waiting for a reply I decided to check my jumpers once again and I had the remote RRC configured for a Kenwood 480 type one and the control set for type 2. That still didn't solve the problem completely. I think I had some audio but there was that minor problem with the jumpers and I think I was getting RF into my setup. After bringing the control RRC back to the home QTH The RF was gone and I was able to properly set the mic levels.

Everything is up and running remotely!

Thanks again,
Tom
W5GV