Author Topic: Configuring the 1258 for FlexRadio 6xxxx series -- add Stereo to generic setup  (Read 4825 times)

WO7R

• View Profile
I've got the pair "adequately" working for now.  A lot is debugged and working, especially for CW.

I'm using the "generic" wiring for Yaesu right out of the manual, which ought to work well (FlexRadio uses the Yaesu 8 pin microphone pinout).  I have the microphone cables on order, so right now I'm working CW and RTTY.  RTTY is done via software direct; CW via RemoteRig.  Audio is from the regular rig output via RemoteRig.

Big problem is audio.  Apparently, the default wiring for Yaesu as given in the manual gives you mono only, as I have verified (right channel only sent on both channels says my experiments). 

But, the Flex 6300 and software actually delivers a true stereo (well, separable left and right channel anyway) that you can use in various interesting ways, such as one VFO in one ear and the other VFO in the other.  Or just listen to both channels the same.  But, it's making them "different" that interest me and so I want true "stereo" output.  Or, it's equivalent; L on L and R on R.

I really need that feature for Navassa and other larger pileups.  For run-of-the-mill operating, monorual is working fine.  How do I wire it for generic microphone (which is fine with me -- basic Mic+ Mic- and PTT is all I need) and yet get stereo output so I can have the features that really help?

WO7R

• View Profile
OK, it does appear I have the 1258MkIIs (see my other thread) so I'm OK on that score.

What I still don't know is how to configure it for receiving "stereo" which is what my rig puts out.

It's best though of as my rig has dual VFOs and audio for each one.  My software for the rig enables me, via a slider, to put each VFO into either the Left or Right channel in any combination.   In other words, both Left, Right, or both in any fraction (e.g. 70 pct left 30 pct right).  I can also mute either VFO, but that's not the critical bit.  It is that the slider function isn't working.

This is the functionality I need to activate.  Right now, it appears I am only getting the Right channel, period over the 1258 for either VFO.

When I am at the shack, it works fine.  The output is "stereo" and I can use the slider to put either VFO in either ear if I want to.  It can be very helpful on big pileups.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-05, 19:04:30 by WO7R »

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Hi
In the radio-RRC on the Radio settings page  you set "Audio dual-RX" to Yes. You do not have to do anything in the Control-RRC

73 de mike

WO7R

• View Profile
That did the trick!  Thanks!