Author Topic: I need to set up VPN Help please -have a new IPv6 router  (Read 4373 times)

wr3y

• View Profile
    • Email
Help my Cable provider replaced my router and the new router has the IPv6 platform. I can not connect to my radio. Mitch DJ0QN posted that setting up a VPN is a possible solution. Can anyone help me out  with that? I have no idea where to begin. I guess in the future this will become a big issue as my cable provider told me they are replacing all their modems with this technology going forward.

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

Rob WR3Y

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: I need to set up VPN Help please -have a new IPv6 router
« Reply #1 on: 2015-12-19, 01:22:26 »
I would first ask if they can provide you an IPv4 public IP number. If so, that would be the easiest way
to solve that problem that is becoming more common.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

wr3y

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-12-20, 16:55:38 »
My internet provider told me that they can not provide me with an external public IP address as all their IP addresses are now IPv6 generated. It would not help even if they gave me my old modem back. They can only give me a private internal IP address, but I assume that will not help?

:-\

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-12-20, 19:00:35 »
Hi
We have decided to upgrade the internal IP-stack in the RRC to a version which supports IPv6 during 2016. There is a huge risk of getting into trouble with that so we have not done it so far. This will of course not help you today so changing ISP or  using VPN may be your only choice for the moment. As far as I know there is nobody else in the whole world who have not been able to get a IPv4 address until today. If there is they have at least not informed me about it.

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2015-12-21, 03:22:59 »
It would be nice to know who your provider is. All others that I am aware of that have made the switch so far also offered IPv4 addresses
to existing customers upon request.

As for VPN, there are basically three ways I know of to implement that:

1) Embedded device: this is the easiest method and the one I use. Some routers offer this, such as the Fritz!Box, Draytek,
etc. If you get a router that contains a VPN server, this is the most elegant version. However, you will find inexpensive stand-alone
boxes that provide VPN from all major companies (I would think Netgear, etc. all still offer them)

2) You can setup your own VPN server at home on an old computer. The most popular server software is OpenVPN https://openvpn.net/

3) You can use a hosted VPN service. OpenVPN offers one, but there are many on the market.

Just note one caveat: you must somehow connect the control side's RRC to the VPN, which can be tricky.

Here again is the embedded device the easiest, because the control side box calls the radio side box and connects the two in a virtual network.
Then you use the internal IPv4 address as the SIP contact to connect.

If you use a software method through a OpenVPN server or use a hosted service, you likely have to use a software client on a PC on the control side,
then connect the control RRC's ethernet to an ethernet port on that PC and share the internet connection.

As you see, just getting an pubic IPv4 address would be easiest, or change your provider if possible. Otherwise, you will have to go the VPN route.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX