Author Topic: Which unit to purchase  (Read 3395 times)

K3UU

• View Profile
Which unit to purchase
« on: 2017-02-16, 20:43:55 »
I'm considering setting up a remote site.  I have an Elecraft K2 that I can initially use at the remote site for testing, and would eventually purchase an Elecraft K3 if things work out OK.  Which model number RemoteRig unit pair should I purchase?
What is different about the RemoteRig unit designed for the Elecraft K3?  Can I use the Elecraft K3 RemoteRig unit with the Elecraft K2 for testing purposes?  Regards, Karin

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Which unit to purchase
« Reply #1 on: 2017-02-16, 21:07:42 »
Hi Karin,

The RRC set http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=20 is identical for all rigs, despite the different
versions offered. The only difference is the cabling and the jumpers/straps that you set inside of the boxes.

Note that to use a K2, you will use the control side only using CAT control and a PC software like HRD. The
best experience for using RemoteRig is when you have a remote hardware control, such as for a TS-480 or
a K3/0 mini (or second K3 in "Twin" mode).

You can of course run a K2 or K3 using only software control, but you can use Teamviewer and Skype to do
the same a lot cheaper. The RRC's would give you some additional functionality, such as serial port servers
for CAT, rotors and other devices, CW paddle support, etc.If you intend not to run a hardware control, then
you need to decide if the investment in a set of RRC's makes sense.

Another and somewhat cheaper method if you intend to use only software control would be to buy only a radio
side RRC and use the RRC Micro PC Client on the control side http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=28
instead. This provides an easier method with most of the RRC advantages, but without the cabling and
configuration hassles.

I hope this helped.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K3UU

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-02-16, 23:18:48 »
Thanks Mitch. Ultimately I plan to purchase two K3 radios but don't know if the remote experience is worth the effort.
It won't be big antennas and all just low band 160 dipole, 80/40 vertical.  The cost of a pair of RemoteRig units isn't the
issue as can always sell them off if I don't like the experience.  I have the K2 and would use as a test platform with simple
wire antenna at the remote site.  If I like the setup then would spend the big bucks on the K3 units. Having already put the infrastructure in place via the RemoteRig units.   Just trying to keep the investment expenses within reason. Cheers,  Karin

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2017-02-17, 06:28:09 »
OK, Karin. Remember that you don't need two K3's, but one at the remote location and
a K3/0 mini at the control location. Still not cheap, but a whole lot cheaper than two K3's.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX